Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What can I do about "Infection Breath"?

(13 Posts)
QuintessentialOHara Wed 24-Apr-13 00:05:01

Following dental surgery I am very aware that my mouth smells like I have not flossed in months. What can I do?

dubdurbs Wed 24-Apr-13 00:08:10

Put a tiny drop of tea tree oil on your toothbrush before your toothpaste. Tastes vile, but it will help with the breath and also speed up the healing process. Other than that you should be drinking plenty of fluids, and following your dentists instructions.

QuintessentialOHara Wed 24-Apr-13 00:09:50

Thanks I will get some Tea tree oil.

I have followed the instructions, finished my course of antibiotics, still using corsodyle, but I feel healing is slow.

SwedishEdith Wed 24-Apr-13 00:17:24

Pretty sure tea tree oil is poisonous - I wouldn't put it in my mouth.

QuintessentialOHara Wed 24-Apr-13 00:18:25

ok, will check up whether it can be used orally! Thanks!

BeaWheesht Wed 24-Apr-13 00:20:47

I'd go to the dentist - personally I think it sounds like you have an infection lingering.

QuintessentialOHara Wed 24-Apr-13 00:22:16

I think I will go to the dentist....

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 24-Apr-13 00:22:45

Assume/hope that you're sorted out medically, that the infection has definitely gone?
Can you drink often, to not let your mouth get too dry?
Chew gum, for that minty-freshness?

Random, but when I had really bad sinus infection, I was really worried about awful breath - so I took lots of peppermint capsules. These don't act on your mouth, they break up in the stomach, but they release a lovely minty smell! Obvs this is not an option if you have any stomach issues.

HazeltheMcWitch Wed 24-Apr-13 00:23:18

Oh, cross post.
Yes, if you're not 100% sure that the infection has gone, back you go, alas...

eatyourveg Wed 24-Apr-13 19:26:54

Gargling TCP?

tabbycat15 Thu 25-Apr-13 14:32:32

Corsydol mouth wash is good.

dubdurbs Fri 26-Apr-13 16:25:57

Swedish, Tea Tree isn't poisonous! Its not recommended that you take it orally, but using one drop to brush your teeth isn't going to have you writhing on the floor! Toothpaste isn't recommended to be swallowed either-would that make you stop using it??

SwedishEdith Fri 26-Apr-13 19:25:17

Yeah, but toothpaste doesn't taste vile so happy to give the tea tree a swerve smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now