Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Funny smells, advice required any docs about :)

(18 Posts)
PoohBearsHole Mon 22-Apr-13 22:00:57

Since the new year I have had the odd sense that something is burning, a sort of woody smell like an open fire and sometime burning rubber. My eyes feel like they are burning and the inside of my nose feels sensitive iykwim.nninam getting lightweight headaches too above my eyes and have noticed at times my eyesight is worse (but that could be age smile) my throat is a little sore too.

I fully expect it to be an allergy of some sort but it's beginning to get me down and with summer fast approaching I am beginning to suffer from hayseed but that OTC medication hasn't impacted on the smell. It's not constant and comes in waves but lasts for several hours!

So do I go to the gp? Or do we reckon it's a bit of a silly thing to go and see him about?

Since Xmas time I have felt a bit odd, very tired and like some one is sitting on my chest at times.

However went to the go got checked out for the breathing thing and nothing untoward. I still sometimes get an aching chest but this has made me reluctant to go back as although gp gave me no indication that I was time wasting I do feel a bit of a fool!

sydlexic Mon 22-Apr-13 22:15:06

I think you should see a doctor, it could be a sinus infection, or a brain disorder but I think it sounds more like anxiety.

ItLooksLikeRainDear Mon 22-Apr-13 22:16:35

You need to go to GP tomorrow.

PoohBearsHole Mon 22-Apr-13 22:17:50

Really? They won't laugh at me? It seems really silly but very annoying!

HousewifeFromHeaven Mon 22-Apr-13 22:18:10

Yes i agree with syd, you should see a doctor. Certain brain disorders can affect smells and such.

BLOO3Z Mon 22-Apr-13 22:18:48

Do you have boiler or wood burner and have you got a carbon monoxide detector? You do need to see gp too.

ItLooksLikeRainDear Mon 22-Apr-13 22:21:45

As syd said it could be a sinus problem or an indicator of a brain disorder. Best to go to GP and get checked out.

PoohBearsHole Mon 22-Apr-13 22:25:28

We do have a old burner but it hasn't been on for a while and it isn't at work sad

Brain disorder <boggles>

Let's hope it's the sinus then smile

FrameyMcFrame Mon 22-Apr-13 22:36:46

Have your neighbours just had a woodburner installed?
In our old house I could always smell when our next door neighbours were having an open fire...

Or, do you have a sinus infection? Are you drinking plenty of water?

PoohBearsHole Tue 23-Apr-13 15:00:22

No neighbours with a fireplace sad I think it could well be my sinus' but now I am thinking every little niggle could be part of something more smile.

I am an idiot.

I also can't get an appointment with the Dr until at least next week and that would be with a nurse practitioner rather than a Dr, I am not sure it is urgent enough to try and book an on the day appointment but perhaps it is confused

HousewifeFromHeaven Tue 23-Apr-13 16:33:00

Do try and see a gp. I am not a doctor, nor am I a scare mongerer. However someone I know had these symptoms and she had a brain tumour. In all probability you do not, but it's best to err on the side of caution eh?
smile

ItLooksLikeRainDear Tue 23-Apr-13 21:15:16

Did you manage to see your GP today?

narmada Tue 23-Apr-13 22:37:21

Deffo get an on the day appointment. It's probably nothing but needs checking out pronto, especially with the other symptoms you mention. Don't put it off.

PoohBearsHole Wed 24-Apr-13 06:59:33

No go appointments yesterday, today will be almost impossible as half day at surgery sad

I did google "symptoms" so to speak and a dy progresses symptoms get worse and I am thinking it must be sinus, as ha a really bad cough/cold at new year. But I won't rule anything out and am still trying to get appt!

PoohBearsHole Wed 24-Apr-13 09:29:24

Still no appts today sad but I am working on trying again tomorrow in the morning.

I am pretty convinced it is a sinus infection and my other symptoms may well be anemia of some sort confused

Reason being:

Funny smell at the end of the day (like a wood burner burning wood, but not when I wake up - almost like its a residual smell and it isn't constant)
Pain above one eye like a headache but this morning it was more like someone had punched me and I had a black eye feeling and it feels a bit hayfever swollen iyswim (I know it could be hayfever season too though!)
I have a tight chest and a bit of pain centrally - I have had a check in the new year about this because I felt like I was being constricted in my breathing, no disturbing signs hr fine etc but he put me on a nebuliser which eased it somewhat and my breathing immediately became better iyswim on the blow thingy

I also have been having some dizzyness and been feeling under the weather. I did a bit of a search with those symptoms and found a really interesting film on youtube about it. What struck me is that I also suffer periodically from migraines so all of the various things these ladies were talking about made a bit of sense.

The dizziness, breathlessness etc could be a sign of anemia I guess and I could have a mild form of anemia if I have been suffering from a poor health (over worked--underpaid--, stress, bad cough at christmas time, not really had any down time, generally feeling under the weather etc and then getting sinusitus)

I am not discounting the more serious things that this could be (brain tumour etc) however I am a glass half full kind of person and feel better having seen this and thinking that I am possibly not just going to drop dead at work grin

Sounds stupid I know but feeling that I might faint has made me worry somewhat smile

PoohBearsHole Thu 25-Apr-13 18:54:37

UPDATE
Saw the doc today and she also believes a sinusitis but if after the abs I am still not feeling more normal then she wants me back in to do more tests. One lot taken, so 7 days to go and we shall see.

Thank you for all of the advice

HousewifeFromHeaven Thu 25-Apr-13 21:52:18

Oh good op!! See how you get on then, and sorry if I worried you x

buildingmycorestrength Thu 25-Apr-13 22:46:43

Well done, pooh keep an eye on it.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now