Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Worried about freckles

(13 Posts)
Stressedtothehilt Mon 22-Apr-13 18:46:08

Hi all, in the last year I've noticed I've gains a lot of freckles on my chest and some on my arms. I'm not a naturally freckley person but I did used to be a sun worshipper.

I've got a couple of pics in my profile of my arm which concerns me most the freckles there in the crook of my elbow (two of them) aren't round they are an irregular shape and seem to be getting bigger! One is 0.5cm and they other 0.4cm . Please someone tell me they don't look sinister????

The freckles further down my arm also appear to look a lot darker in colour than they used to and I'm not sure why.

Stressedtothehilt Tue 23-Apr-13 16:38:55

Anyone?

buildingmycorestrength Tue 23-Apr-13 18:08:21

The GP is probably the best person to reassure you, tbh.

digerd Tue 23-Apr-13 19:08:20

I can't get into your profile? I had a black melanoma removed just in time. But it was black not like a freckle colour. I have lots of moles of different colours but no freckles.

Stressedtothehilt Tue 23-Apr-13 20:18:47

Sorry have unlocked profile now! Thanks building will try get an app, digerd its fredkle colour but they've just sort if appeared and are getting bigger. It concerns me as they're in a place where I got badly burnt/blistered many years ago

They look to me like the sort that you get as you get older (sorry!)
I'm 45 so apologies if you are only 20, but over the last few years I am suddenly a lot more freckley..my arms, and chestsad I used to burn a lot as a child and teen ( tho not a sun worshipper) and I think they are plain old sun damagesad

However... if worried, get them checked smile

sashh Thu 25-Apr-13 06:35:42

See your GP.

All freckles are sun damage, some develop in to skin cancer.

If it is cancer, you need treatment, if it isn't they may decide to remove them anyway.

buildingmycorestrength Thu 25-Apr-13 06:40:53

Changing size is definitely a time to see a GP.

Stressedtothehilt Thu 25-Apr-13 09:11:58

Thanks guys! I am 31 so getting slightly older now ;) yes ill pop to the GP about them next time m there, I hate going to the GP for trivial things though I prefer to wait til I have a list smile

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 25-Apr-13 09:17:28

I have hundreds of freckles, but I'm young (ish!) and completely avoid the sun. I was born with them... How can they be sun damage?!

Stressedtothehilt Thu 25-Apr-13 11:02:43

Think they meant all new freckles are sun damage. As I am a non freckly person

buildingmycorestrength Thu 25-Apr-13 16:51:38

Stressed I wouldn't leave it, actually. I'd make an appointment for as soon as you can.

It is not trivial, you have some of the signs that experts say should send you to the doc immediately... a growing freckle which is irregular in shape.

Maybe it is nothing, but if it isn't these things can move quite quickly.

Don't want to scare you, but obviously no one here is an expert and this is definitely a case of better safe than sorry.

Stressedtothehilt Thu 25-Apr-13 20:58:09

Thanks building ill go next week x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now