Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Diabetes - yes or no? I'm so confused

(17 Posts)
CajaDeLaMemoria Mon 22-Apr-13 14:06:16

I had a thread on here a few weeks ago but I can't find it...

Basically, two weeks ago I had surgery. At the pre-op and before the surgery, I had my usual shaky hands/lack of concentration/ill feeling before eating. It calmed down after lunch. Hospital were concerned about diabetes and did urine tests that they thought showed glucose.

They sent me to my doctor, who eventually did a pin-prick test and said it was okay, 8.4 I think? I hadn't eaten that day because of the anaesthetic the day before, but I had sucked a few tic-tacs. She did send me to speak to the diabetes doctor, who said the symptoms above were probably mental: she thought my body was behaving like it's low on blood sugar but actually isn't.

She did order a fasting blood test but that hasn't happened yet, the 'right' doctor isn't around to do it.

The past few days have been horrid. The shaking is worse, and my lower legs are so itchy at night. The morning tends to be better, but it's come back now, after lunch. I've got some weird red rash where I keep scratching now, and it's driving me mad.

I'm also very thirsty. I'm waking up in the night needing to go and get a few drinks, and in the morning I've got a properly dry mouth and throat, and I'm desperate for a drink again.

My consultant wants me to go and see my GP again, but they were adamant it must be something else last time. I'm so confused.

I don't know anyone with a diabetes monitor, and I can't really afford to buy one right now...plus I'm a big wimp, and I'd hate pricking myself.

Help...

CajaDeLaMemoria Mon 22-Apr-13 14:46:05

Any advice?

I'm utterly lost with this. Diabetes isn't something I know anything about, really.

BigPigLittlePig Mon 22-Apr-13 15:36:18

Diabetes causes high blood sugar, not low (unless you are on insulin replacement treatment) so would be unlikely to cause your symptoms. The symptoms pre-op may well have been anxiety.

That said, a blood sugar of 8, if fasted, is high. It is worth getting that rechecked, minus the tic-tacs.

The thirst/dry mouth is a separate issue - you should discuss that with your gp, review any medications you are already on, and consider having a calcium level checked.

Scratching/itching an itch exacerbates the itch and causes further inflammation and redness - try to stop scratching and it will probably settle smile

CajaDeLaMemoria Mon 22-Apr-13 16:00:12

Thank you smile

The hospital think I had high blood sugar when I was there, but the doctors say 8 is fine. The test was at 5pm, and I'd last eaten at 8pm the night before.

I think the consultant has worried me a bit because he thinks my organs won't put up with high blood sugar, and it's panicked me . I'm glad it sounds like he's wrong!

Thanks for replying smile

Leverette Mon 22-Apr-13 16:54:06

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

CajaDeLaMemoria Mon 22-Apr-13 18:57:23

I've got a 2pm appointment at the hospital, in two weeks. Grrr.

My legs are all covered in red bits now. I'm really trying not to itch them, they're driving me bonkers.

vitaminC Mon 22-Apr-13 19:01:17

How old are you, OP?

Mockingcurl Mon 22-Apr-13 19:07:41

My son is diabetic. When he was diagnosed his blood sugar was 30. A normal blood sugar should be around 7.

CajaDeLaMemoria Mon 22-Apr-13 19:43:06

I am 21.

I'm glad my sugars don't seem high. Hopefully it's all a coincidence. I've lived with the shaking and confusion for a few years, it's just the itching, thirst and dehydration that's been recent.

paddyclampo Mon 22-Apr-13 19:49:50

I have type 1 diabetes and my blood sugar was over 40 when I was diagnosed as a kid .... 8.4 isn't that high in the grand scheme of things, but it is on the high side for a fasting blood sugar

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 22-Apr-13 20:09:48

8 is pretty high for a fasting test, except you hadn't been fasting you had sucked sweets - why if you knew you were having bloods done?

Ring your GP surgery and ask when they do fasting blood tests. Most places you will see the nurse.

CajaDeLaMemoria Mon 22-Apr-13 20:13:34

I didn't know I was having bloods done. I was going to have my wound looked at, and the diabetes doctor wanted to see me, so did a finger prick test.

I will call and try and get an appointment with someone else. The nurse won't take my blood, but there's a doctor there who has before.

This suggests it's okay, though, which is reassuring. I'll try and get an Appt for my new symptoms to talk about them.

Footle Mon 22-Apr-13 21:10:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

digerd Tue 23-Apr-13 12:42:14

littlepig

Does low calcium or high calcium cause/can cause a dry mouth?

BigPigLittlePig Thu 25-Apr-13 09:27:11

Sorry hadn't checked in - high calcium digerd - causes thirst, constipation, lethargy, aches & pains. It would be one of the things to consider getting checked.

CajaDeLaMemoria Thu 25-Apr-13 10:28:56

Thanks LittlePig; it's funny you should say that. I take calcium and vitamin D tablets, prescribed, from the doctors. I've been on them for about 4 years. I was just looking on the packet, and they went out of date last year...I've got five boxes, three I've used, and 2 new: all went out of date on the same date last March.

I picked them up from the pharmacy three weeks ago...

Is that likely to be linked? I don't know whether to keep taking them.

BigPigLittlePig Thu 25-Apr-13 15:16:57

It would be unlikely that the dating has anything to do with it - but if you're on supplementation your GP ought to check periodically anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now