Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

pains below ribcage :(

(13 Posts)
nona2706 Mon 22-Apr-13 01:13:18

Hi I was wondering if any of you could help.For the past week and a half iv been havin pains starting directly below my ribcage and leading round towards my back.They seem to get worse at night.does anyone have any idea of what they might be. Thanks.

babyboomersrock Mon 22-Apr-13 01:43:08

Gall bladder? I'd make a GP appointment to have it checked since you're still having pain.

Badvoc Mon 22-Apr-13 09:59:33

Gall bladder.

Lucyellensmum95 Mon 22-Apr-13 10:02:57

Gall bladder, definately - go to the doctors, needs sorting!

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Mon 22-Apr-13 10:03:59

That's how it started with my gallbladder, get it checked.

nona2706 Mon 22-Apr-13 11:35:55

Thanks for the replies.waiting on the doctor to phone me back.

Allfurcoatandnoknickers Mon 22-Apr-13 13:26:58

Could be costochondritis. I had this, just a non-specific sort of pain in ribcage.

LonelyLinda Mon 22-Apr-13 19:29:13

Yes, another one here who had exactly the same with gall stones.
It occurred when I had eaten something fatty during the day and/or had alcohol. I was awake for hours in the night with pain under ribs and in the back.

You will need a scan to diagnose gall stones in the gall bladder and then if they are big they could possibly be lasered or if there are lots of small ones (as was in my case) then you would probably need your gall bladder removing by keyhole surgery.

Hope you get it sorted.

nona2706 Mon 22-Apr-13 20:40:28

Thanks for all the replies.doctor thinks its gallstones but put me on meds to see for 2 weeks.if meds don't work then I will be getting a scan done.thank you for giving me the push to phone the doctor.x

nona2706 Mon 22-Apr-13 21:02:36

Lonelylinda that is exactly what is happening to me so I'm thinkin omeperazole won't make a bit of difference then.but thank you for sharing what was happening to you.the pain is awful!!I was in tears from 11 untill 3 this morning.but at least it will hopefully get sorted.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Mon 22-Apr-13 23:25:03

At least you have a plan in place, not like me sent away from hospital being diagnosed with ibs, then 12 hrs later in surgery while my gallbladder ruptured.

I had had 2 painful attacks before and did nothing because I'm an idiot, so early intervention is a good idea.

Hope it gets sorted.

babyboomersrock Tue 23-Apr-13 00:01:20

Glad you've been to your GP - hope you get a good night's sleep and that the pain lessens soon.

digerd Tue 23-Apr-13 12:01:05

yellowsnow
You were luckier than my 40 something neighbour.
His < our> GP diagnosed him with IBS for ages. It was bowel cancer and he died last year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now