Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Calling all bleeding gum sufferers / dentists!

(10 Posts)
pegasus Tue 16-May-06 09:24:15

I have had a severe bout of sore and bleeding gums over the last few days. Can I clear this up myself by doing what I'm supposed to do: interdental brushes, electric toothbrush, mouthwash twice a day, or do I have to go to a dentist? I'd rather not go if I can clear it up on my own!

pesme Tue 16-May-06 09:27:50

i had alot of this when pregnant and sporatically since. i always go to the dentist when it gets really bad. other wise swill with salt water and floss regularily - since flossing my gums have been loads better. there are lots of herbal remedies which i keep meaning to investigate. this is a misery so i hope you are better soon.

pegasus Tue 16-May-06 11:11:51

Thanks pesme! What did the dentist do when you went? What herbal remedies are there - I'll try anything!

ComeOVeneer Tue 16-May-06 11:15:46

Salt water rinses, corsodyl mouthwash good cleaning/flossing. But I would advise a trip to the dentist (or hygeinist) to have them checked (rule out any underlying gum disease) have a good clean and check your brushing technique. Long term gum problems can result in loss of teeth.

pesme Tue 16-May-06 11:42:16

dentist cleaned it out and gave me a gel thing in a syring to apply to get rid of infection. she also sent me to the hygenist to learn how to floss properly. i can't remember what the herbal rememdies are but if you go into a good health food type place they should put you right.

mine is definitely hormone related and i get quite bad migraines with it too.

fuzzywuzzy Tue 16-May-06 11:44:31

I had this when pg, I used corsadyl mouthwash which cleared it up, but if it's persistent I would go see a dentist.

expatinscotland Tue 16-May-06 11:45:57

I lost a tooth to gum problems related to pregnancy.

It had an old crown on it and at the time I had the root treatment the dentist had to put a post in it - it had been filled mulitple times during my teens/young adulthood.

Well, my gums receded during pregnancy and an infection got between the crown and gum and up into the pocket there.

Not nice! I have to have a bridge next month.

Glad you went to the dentist and got it sorted.

waterfalls Tue 16-May-06 11:50:19

I developed gum disease while pregnant with dts, dentist said it can be caused by a huge hormone change in the body, so I would deffo advise seeing a dentist.

pesme Tue 16-May-06 11:52:09

eek! expat. i am off to floss. i went for an emergency appointment with a dentist when i was pregnant and i said i was worried about loosing a tooth due to being pregnant. he laughed superciliously and said it was an old wifes tale. 1 year later i had my first filling ever. being pregnant sucks.

expatinscotland Tue 16-May-06 11:56:01

How unprofessional of him to laugh like that!

Pregnancy honestly can cause hormonal changes that affect the gums, that's why the NHS gives you a maternity exemption.

In my case I think it was also b/c the gum receded on the inside - on the side of my tooth where it wasn't visible to me. It was an upper molar, too, so hard to get a look in there.

If I had seen it, I probably would have caught it sooner.

I have had LOADS of cavities, root canals, etc. over the years.

I don't really know why. I take excellent care of my teeth and don't drink fizzy drinks, eat lots of sugar - mainly b/c I am vain about my weight.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: