Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help - got glue ear problem - me not kids!

(7 Posts)
gonedeafinoneear Sun 21-Apr-13 19:17:32

I have gone completely deaf in one ear - it is blocked from the inside.
Been to Docs and she said I've had a cold and got a blocked eustachian tube / middle ear. It doesn't hurt but it feels odd and heavy, and I've just got constant ringing in it. I can't hear anything and it is making life difficult and irritating. (Yes, could be worse I know)

Basically I can't hear what anyone is saying, keep having to ask people to repeat themselves, especially if there is background noise of any kind and can't hear what DCs are up to. Never knew how much I relied on my hearing for that one!

Question is how long do I put up with it for and what can be done about it if it doesn't 'spontaneously resolve itself'? Anyone had this? Any ideas? Dr told me to take Sudofed which has done precisely nothing hmm

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Sun 21-Apr-13 19:26:30

Oh, marking place as dd has had heavy cold and can't hear much. Don't know if I should take her to Dr or wait for it to resolve itself <bad mother alert>

gonedeafinoneear Mon 22-Apr-13 08:50:33

Bump! Anyone?

1969Sarah Tue 23-Apr-13 18:53:47

Try Otovent. Use 3 times a day and tilt your ear down towards your shoulder as you do it.

gonedeafinoneear Tue 23-Apr-13 21:23:18

Thanks Sarah will check it out. Trying a glass of champagne this evening which DH was given at the weekend- very decadent for a Tuesday! Still bloody deaf as a post. <slopes off feeling sorry for self>

MrsBradleyCooper Tue 23-Apr-13 21:28:14

It might sound bizarre but try a back neck and shoulder massage or acupuncture. I had a problem like this for months and after sudafed, several doctor visits and even an MRI scan shock I had a massage and some acupuncture and it went immediately. Apparently it's to do with tight muscles not allowing the fluid to drain to the lymph nodes or something. HTH

gonedeafinoneear Tue 23-Apr-13 21:39:55

ooh, that sounds like me, have suffered with shoulder and neck muscle spasms in the past and DH says muscles always v. tight from carrying DS / Stress etc. I will also check that out tomorrow - thanks really glad to know it's not just me - wanted to go back to Dr but thought they would just send me away as said not to go back unless it starts to hurt confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now