Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Being off-sick. Guilt.

(10 Posts)
WelshMoth Sun 21-Apr-13 16:19:40

I had a terrible sore throat and cough for the last week of the Easter hols, finally took myself off to doc last tuesday after muddling through school. Doc have me penicillin. Next two days I felt worse, sweats, headches, aching body etc, then I have felt slightly better since. In total, I've had 3 days of school (am a teacher) but, I still don't feel right at all.

I ventured out with my DC yesterday for some fresh air but felt flattened by last night. Had terrible night coughing and I've felt grim all day. Yet I'm not shaky or aching, my cough is still there but it's not wrecking my body like it was. I just feel 'glassy' and weak. The thought of stepping foot into my classroom fills me with dread, yet I love me job.

I feel terrible guilt. My parents have my DC today because I have no energy to do anything with them. I look and feel awful. I told DH today that maybe I need to snap myself out of this and just go back to work tomorrow but he flipped and said that I'm just not well enough. I'm feeling guilty about my pupils (GCSE's), I feel guilty about letting other staff down, including my Headteacher.

I feel wretched about everything, yet I cannot put my finger on why since most of my symptoms have gone. I have one full day left of antibiotics.

Disclaimer: I don't have measles. No rash and symptoms seem to have improved. Why do I still feel so grim though?

WelshMoth Sun 21-Apr-13 16:20:17

my job

marriednotdead Sun 21-Apr-13 16:43:24

I would suggest getting your GP to do some blood tests, if only to rule out viral stuff like glandular fever.

It's common to feel weak after illness and your DH is right; you need to recover your strength before going back to such a demanding job.

Am off sick myself with something that is doing a very good impression of flu. I ache less now (day 5) but my chest feels tight and I'm knackered. Work assume I will be back once my self cert ends but I am going to be sensible and get my GP to sign me off for another week. They will expect me to hit the floor running and there is no way I will be ready yet.

We all like to see ourselves as indispensable but much as you are missed, they will cope without you.

Get well soon thanks

WelshMoth Sun 21-Apr-13 17:00:24

married, thanks so much for your reply. I so appreciate it.
I'll definitely go back to GP tomorrow, didn't think of going other than pleading for some re-assurance that I'm not swinging the lead. I feel bad because I lost 5 days last November because of the novovirus, so I feel really guilty for being under the 'sickness' spotlight.
Sorry to hear you're also feeling grim. Here are some thanks for you too.

millymae Sun 21-Apr-13 17:00:28

My advice is stay off work until you feel better - teaching is a hard enough job as it is without feeling less than 100%. You haven't finished your course of antibiotics yet so at least give yourself the opportunity to do this and another day or so afterwards of recovery time. If you are not feeling any better after this go back to the doctors.

I know it's hard not to feel guilty - but you really shouldn't. You haven't felt well enough to look after your children today so you shouldn't be worrying about your work and other people's children tomorrow. As to feeling guilty about your work colleagues and Headteacher just don't go there. It really isn't your problem. They will manage.

Huge apologies if I sound harsh but 10 years ago I could have been you. I wont bore you with the details but one lesson I did learn from my reluctance to take time off sick was that I should have listened to what my body was telling me.

FrameyMcFrame Sun 21-Apr-13 17:17:24

Stay off. A week at least.

I know the guilt is awful when you're off work but it's not your fault that you are unwell.
Give yourself a break, you need to get better smile

bassetfeet Sun 21-Apr-13 17:18:00

Totally agree with millymae .

RandomMess Sun 21-Apr-13 17:24:15

If you feel that ill you need to take time off!

amessagetoyouYoni Sun 21-Apr-13 17:25:36

You poor love. Teaching is the worst profession for this sort of guilt! ;-)

Look, you are ILL. You need to recuperate.

The school will cope. And when you're better and back in school, you'll have the energy to tie up loose ends and deal with any mini crises that took place in your absence. But right now - rest! And do go back to the doctors if you're not feeling right tomorrow.

WelshMoth Sun 21-Apr-13 17:25:49

I'm choked by your responses. Thank you. Really, thank you.
I will take more time, perhaps go back mid week. I'll see the Doc tomorrow and tell him what I've told you.
Thanks again.
You haven't felt well enough to look after your children today so you shouldn't be worrying about your work and other people's children tomorrow. This has hit it home for me. Thanks.
And no, Millymae, no apologies needed. Hope you're ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now