Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Low blood sugar

(3 Posts)
IceCubes Sun 21-Apr-13 11:08:23

Hi there,

My glucose levels keep dropping very low, even after I've eaten. I have a glucose tester due having Gestational Diabetes with my last pregnancy so I have started testing when I feel funny.

I just tested and I was 2.8! I've had some glucose tablets but still don't feel right. I had crunchy nut cornflakes for breakfast an hour or so ago so it's not like I haven't had any sugar!

Any advice or ideas as to what I can do? Getting a bit fed up of it now!

sallysparrow157 Sun 21-Apr-13 11:19:47

Have a look at what you're eating, if it seems to happen a few hours after a carb-heavy meal it may be reactive hypoglycaemia (I get the symptoms you're describing and a friend of mine who is an endocrinologist said it may be this). It's like a rebound thing, the body releases too much insulin when it gets a big carbohydrate or sugar load so blood sugar drops a couple of hours later. Things that help include reducing the carbohydrate component of your meal, eating less sugar and eating small amounts more frequently, so every 3 hours or so. I've been much better since I stopped my very bad habit of having white toast for breakfast and lunch at work! If I have salad and a bit of ham or chicken, despite eating fewer calories I don't get hypoglycaemic by late afternoon

IceCubes Sun 21-Apr-13 16:26:26

Thanks Sally, I will definitely assess my carb intake!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now