Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

How can I unblock my ear - quickly!!!

(9 Posts)
Worried345 Sun 21-Apr-13 10:41:02

I've got a blocked ear and Ortex drops aren't helping. Last time this happened - to both ears - I was almost completely deaf for 2 months and this had a seriously detrimental effect on my work - which is people based/communication/listening.

Last time, involved several trips to the GP with unsuccessful syringing, after 2 weeks using olive oil and then finally a referral to a hospital consultant for a 'vaccuum'! This did the trick but the long drawn out process made ordinary life and working life impossible.

Is there anything I can do to speed up getting my hearing back this time?

Is Ortex less effective than olive oil drops and if I stop using Ortex (which is hydrogen peroxide based) and start with olive oil, will the two interact detrimentally?

I need to be able to hear again by tomorrow!!!

MousyMouse Sun 21-Apr-13 10:54:23

do you have a clear ear clinic nearby?
they use micrisuction instead of syringing which is better for the ear and lasts longer.

YohedYoshoulderYonisandYotoes Sun 21-Apr-13 10:57:05

You can use hydrogen peroxide solution from the chemist - I have done this and you put it in with a syringe or dropper, wait for the fizzing to die down then rinse through with the same solution diluted with water so that you can flush through nicely - I found a syringe best for this. The lump of wax will some out... look online for methods there's a good description on youtube with a woman talking in a car about how she got the tip from her friend in America..

Worried345 Sun 21-Apr-13 12:11:38

MousyMouse, I'd never heard of these clinics. I've had a look at the London based one you linked and wonder if there are any more around the UK or will this be a one-off? It sounds good and like what the NHS did for me locally after a v v long wait of about 10 weeks.

Yoshed....Ortex IS a hydrogen peroxide solution but it doesn't seem to be clearing my blockage and in fact has made it worse. Is that what to expect, before it starts to clear? I'm not sure whether to use it more and see if this helps or to stop it altogether, as every time I put the drops in my ear, I can hear even less?

I don't have a syringe available to use and am wary of trying this myself for fear of damaging an eardrum.

YohedYoshoulderYonisandYotoes Sun 21-Apr-13 20:21:50

I ca't comment on Ortex, but the solution form the chemist really worked. By syringe I don't mean ear syringe or one with a needle - like the one used to give young children medicine!

delilahbelle Sun 21-Apr-13 20:25:49

Some contact lens solution is 3% hydrogen peroxide, and it comes in a huge bottle. Tip some of that in, listen to it fizz, rinse out in the shower. Works pretty well.

WaitingForPancakeDay Mon 22-Apr-13 20:56:06

Not sure if this is a bit woo, but Hopi ear candles?

YohedYoshoulderYonisandYotoes Tue 23-Apr-13 09:50:36

Hopi Ear Candles ARE A CON! - just get some, put them in a clip or hold them in the air, and lo! they generate 'ear wax' from the thin air!

Defo WOOOOOOOOO!

eatyourveg Wed 24-Apr-13 19:33:52

Have you established if it is indeed a wax problem? It could be fluid behind your eardrum making your eardrum less mobile and ortex wouldn't help with that at all. I would go to the GP to find out exactly what the cause is

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: