Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Rieger attack??

(14 Posts)
infamouspoo Sat 20-Apr-13 18:47:50

What is one of these? My mother gets them occasionaly but either I'm spelling it wrong or she is pronouncing it wrong because I can find nothing on google. Its a sudden paralysis attack. Comes on suddenly and lasts maybe an hour. Seems to often be connected to when she has an infection but she has heart issues (pacemaker, shitloads of drugs) and a brain tumour (waiting on how fast/slow/long etc)

Leverette Sat 20-Apr-13 18:58:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

infamouspoo Sat 20-Apr-13 19:11:04

maybe but thats no shivering. It literally is paralysis. A GP called it 'rigor' or 'Riegor' years ago and that was that. She cannot move a muscle and it can last several hours. Pretty scary when you are alone and elderly.

Leverette Sat 20-Apr-13 19:28:17

Leverette Sat 20-Apr-13 19:31:45

infamouspoo Sat 20-Apr-13 20:01:03

my sister has been with her for both the attacks and the doctor calling it. But no doctor has ever witnessed one. I also thought seizure.
I have suggested I go with her to the neuro but after she told me she had a tumour she then told me she didnt want to worry me with the results <rolls eyes>
She has had a couple of strokes (TIA's) in the past. To be honest, my mothers medical history is a mile long what with her heart as well and (long tale behind this) I've tried to keep back a bit as I am exhausted with a seriously ill child.
Right now she is refusing to go to A&E (as per usual) as is waiting for the OOH to call back so I'm waiting on them to call me. I'm tempted to call my sister who lives in the US but my mother would go ballistic for 'worrying her'.
I'm giving her till 9pm then calling her back.
All this OOH GP would have heard is my mother reffering to it as a Rigor without getting any background history which is slightly alarming.

Leverette Sat 20-Apr-13 20:32:47

infamouspoo Sat 20-Apr-13 20:51:09

just called her. the OOH isnt due to call back till 11pm. She will be in bed by then. argh.

Leverette Sun 21-Apr-13 11:40:00

infamouspoo Sun 21-Apr-13 12:59:33

No answer on her phone. She could be at church so I'm waiting till normal church coming back time before I worry. But I'm starting to fret.
My biggest fear is one day finding her dead after several days (its a long story but I generally only speak to her once a week and rarely go over as we dont actually get on but I'm the only sibling left in the country so feel obliged).
OOH really is crap here. It can be 10 hours or even the next day for a call-back and then a further 8 hours wait for a visit if you're a frail old lady who cant get the 5 miles to the OOH office.

infamouspoo Sun 21-Apr-13 13:19:35

Right, got her on the phone. OOH doctor finally called at 1.30 am and visited at 3am. He reckoned it wasnt a rigor attack. He did a dip test of her wee and said there was no infection and no temp. After going through her 8 different medications (steroids, heavy duty heart stuff, major painkillers etc) he said it was a reaction to the Vit C and zinc supplement she takes hmm. That she has been taking for years.
And that was that.
How is that possible? Now I'm not a doctor. Just a boring neuroscientist but that sounds like bullshit to me. So now I'm going to take a day off and go with her to the GP (5 week wait for an appointment) and try and get some answers.
<necks gin>

Leverette Sun 21-Apr-13 13:44:58

digerd Sun 21-Apr-13 20:10:34

5 weeks to get another appt with GP? That is shocking.
Also Vit.C is not stored in the body. Don't know about Zinc.

Does really sound like BS to me and a blatent fob off.

Can your DM see when she experiences these episodes of paralysis, and is she conscious in her brain?

infamouspoo Sun 21-Apr-13 21:28:23

I'm going with herwith her next GP appt and I'm going to ring and demand an urgent same day appt. Its the 'can I see a doctor' ones that are 5 weeks. Problem with same day is it could be any of the 8 GP's and not one familiar with your case or even 'stuck on the end of surgery with a 2 hour wait'.
My worry is this is related to the TIA's.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now