Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

TODDLER DRINKS 6 PINTS OF WATER A DAY.........?awaiting diagnosis

(20 Posts)
7up Mon 15-May-06 21:48:22

took ds 18months to hospital last week for a few days for tests, it was awful. overnight he was allowed no fluid then again the following day because his urine doesnt concentrate.he had to have blood taken, urine samples and be weighed hourly. initially the docs thought it was habit and his kidneys had got lazy. ive had to restrict his fluid to 3pints a day and measure it exactly so as not to go over and take urine samples to the hospital every morning. its still not concentrating and they are flumaxed because diabetes insipidus is very rare especially in children. theres a meeting about him tomorow and i have to wait for the phone call late afternoon to see what they going to do next. lots of mners have been lovely when ive posted about this problem before so thought id give an update

PanicPants Mon 15-May-06 21:51:02

Poor you, you must be worried sick. Have you any ideas what they might do?

7up Mon 15-May-06 21:54:03

hi panic, i havent got a clue to be honest. if its insipidus it means the hormone that controls your water balance doesnt work so they give you drugs, dont know with little ones thought. hes always had an orangey colour to his skin, so they gona have a meeting to see if the two symptons link together which did worry me a bit. its been a long week, hes really missed the water bless him. im gona keep really busy till the phone call. i think theyl probably readmit him for more tests, wish id had mumsnet in there last week, kids wards are bloody depressing

Jasnem Mon 15-May-06 21:54:50

I've read your other threads, and am glad to see your ds' problem is being taken seriously.
Good luck for tomorrow.

7up Mon 15-May-06 21:55:34

thanks jasnem.x

PanicPants Mon 15-May-06 22:25:43

7up, well good luck for tomorrow. Fingers crossed it's something easily treatable.

misdee Mon 15-May-06 22:28:31

hi 7up, i remember reading your 1st post on this. so finally you are getting somewhere with it, and they are taking you seriously. do they think it maybe diabetes insidius or have they ruled it out?

rickman Mon 15-May-06 22:39:12

Message withdrawn

7up Mon 15-May-06 22:43:44

hi misdee and rickman. they havent ruled out diabetes insipidus but because its rare and hes so young i think they are a bit shocked and trying to find another cause. ive been telling my health visitor and local doctor for over a year about him, it was actually a dietician who mentioned to ds paed that it could be d.insipidus. im still not sure myself, ive been googling about it too much.

lanismum Mon 15-May-06 22:51:33

hi 7up, just wanted to say im glad that they are taking you seriously now, i really hope it isnt di, but if it is at least you will know, and he will be getting treatment, hope the meeting goes well tomorrow x

7up Tue 16-May-06 07:24:49

thanks lanismum, id rather it was di really,i think that will be less serious than kidney or liver function being wrong.only today to wait.

lanismum Tue 16-May-06 16:54:15

any news on how the meeting went?

7up Wed 17-May-06 14:50:05

hiya lanismum, havent had internet since yesterday morning!bloody annoying, just got back on.

nurse phoned and said "its not good", great start!hes got to go back in next wednesday for further testing called hypotonic saline test. apparently it should show if hes got d.i or partial d.i, if not then be further tests which i think will be mri scan of the pituatary gland and kidneys etc. quite worrying so hopefully he'll be diagnosed next week and not go through further testing.x

lanismum Wed 17-May-06 15:04:40

oh how worring for you, poor little man, hopefully the test next week will diagnose di, (or even better partial di) hope it all goes as well as it can do xx

lanismum Tue 23-May-06 14:28:53

7up, not sure if you will see this today, but just wanted to say hope everything goes as well as possible tomorrow, really hope he gets a diagnosis, and that the test is as quick and painless as possible, for him and you! x

Poppyshed Wed 24-May-06 19:27:59

7up, hope everything is okay? I've been watching this thread and have known of your plight here for some time now, and really feel for you and the wee one. Please let us know what is going on. Good luck anyway, hun xx

AllieBongo Wed 24-May-06 19:29:04

me too! hopre today was ok. send me an e-mail if you can, and I'll call you x

foxinsocks Wed 24-May-06 19:30:18

here you are

misdee Wed 24-May-06 19:30:46

oh she posted on another thread it is diabetes wotsit. will find it in a mo.

Piffle Wed 24-May-06 19:30:48

todays update here girls
here

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: