Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Smear test question

(8 Posts)
DSM Fri 19-Apr-13 23:49:15

I had a smear a while back and there was some abnormal result, and I was asked to come back for another. I did, and have received the same results - abnormal.

All the letter says is that I need to go for another smear.. Is this the right procedure? What do they do, just keep doing more up to a point? When is that point? Shouldn't they do something other than another smear if two have come back abnormal?

DSM Sat 20-Apr-13 08:18:19

Anyone?

Flisspaps Sat 20-Apr-13 08:23:32

If they're mild abnormalities, then another smear will just monitor what is happening.

If you keep getting them, they'll probably invite you for a colposcopy, which is a bit more detailed screening, but if you still have mild changes, you'll probably continue having frequent smears to monitor.

Whatalotofpiffle Sat 20-Apr-13 08:25:07

I think it depends on the level of abnormality. I had an abnormal result which was moderate to severe, then a biopsy and finally a procedure to remove cells. Mild changes sometimes require more repeat smears. I think it is likely that you have mild changes.

DSM Sat 20-Apr-13 08:27:45

So how often does one have to kept having these mild changes before a colposcopy?

EuroShaggleton Sat 20-Apr-13 08:29:07

I think it differs from area to area.

Some areas are introducing a new protocol where the presence of the HPV virus in the smear sample is used to determine who needs follow up.

DSM Sat 20-Apr-13 08:36:44

Okay.. So should I just keep going for these repeat smears and not worry about it?

I guess my concern was that this letter was identical to the last letter - no mention that the last rest was already a repeat test.

neverlookback Sat 20-Apr-13 11:09:47

I would ring and ask, or go for this next one and speak to the nurse about it.
It must be a standard letter but I would try to speak to someone and get them to explain
Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now