Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Teen sickness

(3 Posts)
Orianne Fri 19-Apr-13 20:25:17

Dd(14) seems to pick up every bug. She's always been a bit like this and has had her tonsils removed as the Doc thought this could be the cause. She's been a bit better since having them out but has now been sick on and off two weeks in a row. Not serious enough for the Doctor or even to miss school but sore throat, snotty nose and now a very mild fever.

She has had shingles three times. Nope not kidding. It's never been painful so no big deal really for her although it usually accompanies a cold or such.
When shes been sick recently she gets a big white spot on the roof of her mouth. Have mentioned it to the Doctor and she said she had never heard of it before and has asked to see a picture.

The spot is back tonight and I have been googling ( I know, I know) and am beginning to suspect its shingles in the mouth. Does anyone know if this is possible?

If it is then what the heck is up with her immunity? She has a healthy diet, no allergies and is a pretty happy girl most of the time(teenager). Periods are normal.

Am I just being a bit paranoid and picking up bugs is normal at this age? And the shingles thing is me barking up the wrong tree. I will take her to the Doctor again but just wondered if anyone had experienced any of the above?

Sorry for mega long post.

Iseeall Fri 19-Apr-13 21:12:50

Hello I have teenage dc but no experience of your daughters symptoms. However I don't think you are being overanxious. I would take her back to the gp and ask that all of her symptoms are looked at as a whole, and not each illness, cough or cold treated on its own iyswim.
At the very least a blood test maybe be rule out anemnia if nothing else.
I think as a mum you have to trust your instincts and you know your daughter best.

tabbycat15 Sat 20-Apr-13 09:58:31

Not sure about the white spot. She could take a multi vit with a separate zinc & vit c tablet to boost her immune system. Maybe take her back to the Drs to check full blood count incase she is anaemic or low on thyroid or something.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now