Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

cervical erosion

(5 Posts)
appleblossoms Wed 17-Apr-13 16:09:02

I've just got my referal appointment for the gynae clinic (in 6 weeks) due to cervical erosion. Has anyone got any experience of having this treated? Any ideas how long after my appointment I'd likely get the treatment, or whether they'd be able to do it there and then?

OrangeLily Wed 17-Apr-13 16:16:32

Mines was because I was on hormonal contraceptives and had to come off of them.

RightUpMyRue Wed 17-Apr-13 16:18:12

I had one about 5 years ago, was due to the pill.

I saw a gynaecologist just the once after having been referred by my GP and he treated the erosion there and then. Treatment involved the erosion being cauterised which sounds a lot worse than it is. They use these little sticks of silver nitrate to cauterise, it takes about 5 minutes, smells like burning hair and is a bit achey for a day or two afterwards, a bit like period pains.

It's never bothered me since. IME it's nothing too worry about and is very effective.

HTH smile Good luck at your appt.

appleblossoms Wed 17-Apr-13 16:42:46

Thanks rightup that's really helpful.

I saw the GP this morning, and I booked my referral appointment straight after. I was worried that it would be another wait after seeing the gynae, but it sounds like it might be in that appointment if they feel it's necessary!

I really hope they do treat it, I've had it on and off for over 2 years and ignored it only complication is we've been ttc for 5 months (putting it on hold now until after appointment) but I hope they say I can still get treated even though I'm hoping to get pregnant as soon as possible afterwards.

RightUpMyRue Thu 18-Apr-13 18:26:17

I wouldn't have thought it would make much difference to TTC except you might be a bit sore for a few days so won't fancy DTD.

Coincidentally, I gave birth 8 days ago smile so having had an erosion and having the treatment didn't stop us from having another baby. It did take a while to get PG but i'm pretty sure that had nothing to do with the erosion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now