Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

b12, and folic acid deficiency

(8 Posts)
oopsadaisymaisy Tue 16-Apr-13 20:16:45

But Bloods show I'm not anemic. Dr says it is a symptom of something else and I would be referred to hematology. I don't understand. Any ideas anyone? We're waiting for further blood test results.

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 17-Apr-13 08:16:40

Most likely cause are pernicious anaemia or coeliac disease though some people have both ( I do). The GP should be able to test for both with a blood test.
Pernicious anaemia is an autoimmune disease that destroys intrinsic factor (responsible for absorbing B12).
I self inject with B12 to my own schedule when I feel I need it and take folic acid tablets every day.
I felt dramatically better once I started having the B12 injections and giving up gluten. You do need to keep eating gluten till they have done the test though.
I already have multiple immune mediated diseases so this is just a worsening of them.

oopsadaisymaisy Wed 17-Apr-13 13:07:36

Thanks lonecat, I'm hypothyroid. What other diseases do you have if you don't mind me asking? I'm worried it might be a symptom of something more sinister.

RockinD Wed 17-Apr-13 13:21:13

B12 and folate deficiencies often go hand in hand with hypothryoidism, without your being coeliac. Your Doc should be chekcing your Vitamin D and ferritin as well as these may also be low.

These things need to be corrected because low levels of B12, D, folate or ferritin can prevent your thyroid hormone replacement from working.

Doesn't sound like anything sinister to me. I have had all this to sort out myself and now feel a great deal better.

oopsadaisymaisy Wed 17-Apr-13 14:01:17

Thanks Rockin, that makes me feel much more relaxed about it. smile

Lonecatwithkitten Wed 17-Apr-13 15:08:03

I have vitlleigo and mixed connective tissue disease. Autoimmune disease is always an iceberg what you are above the surface is only 1/3 of the problem.
Yes perinicious does go with hypothyroidism as they are both autoimmune diseases. I would disagree about correctly other stuff first untreated low B12 is a serious condition and can potentially be fatal as B12 is essential to the production of healthy red blood cells.

EnlightenedOwl Wed 17-Apr-13 20:04:03

I was referred to Haematology because of low white blood counts. Turns out, low ferritin/ lack of iron the cause. Could be something as simple as that in your case.

oopsadaisymaisy Wed 17-Apr-13 22:31:27

Thanks owl. Typically my Bloods are usually back within a couple of days but this round are taking bloody ages!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now