Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dodgy bowels after childbirth

(4 Posts)
bicyclebuiltforfour Tue 16-Apr-13 11:50:09

Not quite sure where to post this.. And probably TMI for some wink

I had DS 7wks ago: straightforward vaginal birth, one tiny tear, no drugs. I'm not on any medication other than the prenatal I was taking during pregnancy (am EBF).

My bowels were fine by the end of pregnancy (got my usual first tri constipation but that wore off): going every other day, nice and regular.

Since giving birth however they've been weird. I go every other day-ish still but I get urgency (I need to go now!) and they're ahem big. Soft and a 'normal' colour but really big. Over the last few weeks I've also had a few diarrhea type episodes where I go to the toilet, have one movement, then cramping, then another (which is quite diarrhea-like).

My diet is very high in fruit and veg (trying to lose the last half-stone of baby weight), but I ate lots during pregnancy also, so not much has changed there.

When I look into this, all I get is info on the first post-birth BM which isn't relevant: that was surprisingly ok!

Is this hormones? Everything shifting back into place? My diet?

Any advice?

MolotovCocktail Tue 16-Apr-13 15:44:27

To be honest, I think it's your diet that is mostly responsible. Lots of food to help you 'go', I guess! Maybe try easing off the fruit and veg and see what happens?

You're only 7 weeks post-partum, so things are shrinking internally. I think is only be concerned if you were leaking fecal matter or had other signs of prolapse, which I don't think you do? I'm not a medical professional, so please see your GP if you're still worried.

Congratulations on your baby!

MolotovCocktail Tue 16-Apr-13 15:53:17

By the way, even the most straightforward of labours put enormous strain on the pelvic floor. This might also explain your urge to poo, and should settle down naturally once your body has fully recovered. Again, mention it to your GP I you're still worried.

Poledra Tue 16-Apr-13 15:53:32

I certainly had ummm urgency after the births of DDs 2 and 3 (DD1 was c-section). I had to go this minute - I remember DH flattening himself against the wall to get out of my way as I rushed for the loo! It resolved within 6-8 weeks, though I did do lots of pelvic floor exercises!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now