Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

This sounds like MS doesn't it? Panicking....

(24 Posts)
tangerinefeathers Tue 16-Apr-13 04:29:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stewartlaura67 Tue 16-Apr-13 07:18:42

I’m sorry to hear what you are going through. All I could do is pray for you DH. Do make sure you follow up with the docs on time.

Rosesforrosie Tue 16-Apr-13 07:21:15

I'm not a doctor and I don't know what it sounds like.

BUT I can hold your hand flowers - don't panic before the appointment, wait and see what the doctor has to say.

tangerinefeathers Tue 16-Apr-13 09:23:22

TheYoniKeeper Tue 16-Apr-13 09:28:58

Google is your worst enemy!

I remember looking up symptoms once & being practically convinced what I had was life threatening.

Hope it's not MS and even if it is, it can take a very long time for people to deteriorate (one of my friends has been diagnosed for 20 years & has had 2 babies in the last 5 years & is still walking about without too much trouble).

But cross that bridge when you come to it, you don't know yet so all you can do is batten down the hatches for this news.

Can you talk to anyone else in rl? It will help to feel like you've got support as well as your DH as it's a very worrying time for both of you & that way you won't feel like you're offloading on him too much etc smile

tangerinefeathers Tue 16-Apr-13 09:52:31

tangerinefeathers Tue 16-Apr-13 09:53:21

Rosesforrosie Tue 16-Apr-13 10:34:10

flowers

Stop googling. It definitely won't help.

Just being there, and keeping things as normal as possible, that's the best thing you can do for your DH this week.

tangerinefeathers Tue 16-Apr-13 10:51:54

mayihaveaboxofchoculaits Tue 16-Apr-13 10:58:46

if its any consolation, i've had ms for 20 years,it is so variable,and some treatments to lessen symptoms or control the progression are available. It really all depends on the individual case. Please dont panic, but if you must ,then look at more helpful websites.imo ms society is less great, than ms-uk.org or shift ms and there are many others that give you less of a doom and gloom scenario .

Rosesforrosie Tue 16-Apr-13 11:25:14

biscuit (the nice kind) and a brew for you. Take care.

tangerinefeathers Tue 16-Apr-13 11:52:56

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Tue 16-Apr-13 12:08:52

Hi tangerine,

I have MS. I was diagnosed 4 years ago. There's three different types, mine's relapsing remissive so it comes and goes. I did leave the course I was on as it was making it worse, I'm very happy now but get tired sometimes. There is medication, they can't prescribe this until a patient has had two episodes though as it's expensive. My life isn't any different; I work etc, I do get very ill when I relapse though but this is sorted out by steroids. I had a lumbar puncture after the first MRI rather than a blood test. Every patient with MS is different; some don't have relapses for years and have no symptoms so doctor google isn't very helpful, nor is the media as they only tend to show the worst cases.

tangerinefeathers Tue 16-Apr-13 14:12:01

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Tue 16-Apr-13 14:37:28

smile

moosemama Tue 16-Apr-13 14:59:35

I have similar symptoms to your dh, as well as, multiple lesions on brain MRIs, but other tests such as my lumbar puncture and evoked potentials (VEPs) - which is when they test how fast messages get from your peripherals and/or eyes to the brain - all came back normal. As a result I don't have a diagnosis of MS. The Neurologist was pretty sure it was going to be MS when she saw my results, plus traced back a history of relapsing symptoms going back to my early twenties, but it doesn't seem to be the answer for me.

There are other things that can cause both lesions and/or demyelination and many of them aren't as bad as people tend to think MS is. Vitamin B12 deficiency, for example, can cause both the symptoms of MS and brain lesions. That's why they don't diagnose after one episode in most cases. People can and do have a single episode.

Whatever I have is relapsing, remitting just like some types of MS and the symptoms are very similar, but the location of my lesions is atypical for MS, which tends to have a typical spread of lesions in the brain.

I have been under neurology for a couple of years now and they still don't know what is causing my problems. My latest MRI, 12 months after the last, showed no new lesions, despite having several relapses since May 2012.

Life goes on. I have good periods and bad, but it doesn't seem to be getting any worse. I have friends who do have a diagnosis of MS, who have very few relapses and have lived perfectly normal lives for years without any treatment and another who had a paricularly bad prognosis but is now the most active person I know on regular treatment. It's not always as bad or as scary as it feels when you first find out and like with many things, every person's experience of MS will be completely different and individual.

Good to hear you are feeling more positive about things now. I totally understand your initial fear and panic and think it's a very normal response - I know dh and I felt similarly.

Wishing all the very best of luck to your dh for a swift end to this episode and hopefully for it to be a one off.

Mondrian Tue 16-Apr-13 15:11:14

A relative and a close friend both have MS, one is not doing so well but my friend is coping with it and leads a normal life so as others have said each case is totally different to other. However going by what my friend has said stress has a huge negative effect on MS so you really need to address it. I also remember watching an episode of Dr Oz where he stated that contrary to popular belief STRESS is the no 1 killer in the world, not diabetes or high blood pressure or high cholesterol so whatever your condition out there find ways to distress and better still look for ways of reducing your stress levels - they cause a lot of harm that can not be seen or detected until .....

tangerinefeathers Tue 16-Apr-13 16:17:34

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Tue 16-Apr-13 16:33:21

Vitamin D deficiency can cause nerve problems if I remember correctly, I remember being tested before going to see the neurologist. It would help if his anxieties and depression are managed better; I found my symptoms were worse when I was stressed (hence leaving my course). Your body has ways of telling you that it's not happy and being diagnosed with any condition does make you take a step back and think about what you're doing. It's not a bad thing. smile

tangerinefeathers Wed 17-Apr-13 08:53:33

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Wed 17-Apr-13 11:19:35

Take some time, being diagnosed with anything can be life changing. Take each day as it comes. If you need to moan and shout then come on here! You're not alone, no matter how crap you're feeling. You need support as well. thanks brew

tangerinefeathers Thu 18-Apr-13 08:41:31

moosemama Thu 18-Apr-13 09:33:03

He could have been showing your the Overcoming MS stuff because isolated episodes are clinically identical to MS episodes and therefore anything that would help MS would also help a CIS. There's honestly no way of knowing whether it's CIS or MS at this point.

As LadyMary said, what you are feeling is normal and understandable and we are here if you feel the need to let it out somewhere. I find MN invaluable as a place to let it out away from the family and that helps me to function more normally around them.

Good to hear he's feeling a bit brighter.

tangerinefeathers Thu 18-Apr-13 10:30:59

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now