Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

new personal injury claim changes 1st April - anyone else effected?

(14 Posts)
MrsCR Mon 15-Apr-13 16:32:56

Hi

I was in a car accident last Monday - got hit by a car from behind at traffic lights, he wasn't looking and drive into me at about 30mph.

I have had a brief chat with a solicitor about a personal injury claim as the whiplash is still quite painful and she mentioned that now as well as 25% of the damages going to the solicitors I have to pay for 'ate insurance' out of my settlement which would cost an additional £150.
I know the rules have changed so the 5 is fine, but the claim is quite straight forward, the other driver admitted liability and a doctor has 'validated' my condition so i think its highly unlikely I will need this insurance and we do have cover with our household insurance - am I the victim of a sales job here? Has anyone else had this?

Thinking I don't like these solicitors very much hmm but I may be wrong? The whole think feels a bit grabby and I wasn't going to bother but in the last few days I hurt so much its not funny anymore!!

SkinnyLove Mon 15-Apr-13 16:35:42

It's only been a week....you really want to sue already?!
Yes, it's grabby and the new rules are to lrevent frivolous claims.

Delayingtactic Mon 15-Apr-13 16:41:52

The whole thing feels a bit grabby?! Bit rich coming from someone who's trying to get a personal injury claim for whiplash as its a bit sore.

MrsCR Mon 15-Apr-13 16:56:27

is this AIBU? No, its 'general health'

I'm exploring my options and this injury has cost me money in prescription costs and soon to be osteopath charges through no fault of my own

I was asking for advice

SkinnyLove Mon 15-Apr-13 19:09:56

Nope, still grabby. Incredibly so.

I'd "get it" if you were sueing because you'd lost your job as you broke an arm or faced months of rehab with a broken back...but...seriously..get over it.

Sparklingbrook Mon 15-Apr-13 19:12:21

I don't get it either. I don't think the compensation is for short term pain is it?

featherbag Mon 15-Apr-13 19:16:27

You need some short term anti-inflammatory drugs which can be bought for about 20p, and possibly some exercises which your GP should be able to teach you/refer you for if it's bad. You do not need, or deserve, compensation. You are grabby, and contributing to the rising insurance premiums each and every one of us are facing. Sorry if you don't like that, but it's a fact. If you accept this and still want to go money-grabbing that's up to you, but don't pretend you actually need compensating!

norkmonster Mon 15-Apr-13 19:17:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 15-Apr-13 19:25:35

My mum and dad both received compensation for whiplash after a serious accident. They suffered serious pain for over a year and didn't intend to claim, but doctor suggested they did due to the impact on their lives.

They had to travel to various assessment centres before the claim was successful and they didn't get a huge amount of money.

I also had whiplash, but only suffered for a few weeks and pain killers dealt with it enough to cope, just couldn't stand or sit for too long, so didn't bother with a claim.

Think you are a bit premature to be considering a claim. Also your gp confirming whiplash doesn't automatically lead to compo, it's a long drawn out process.

Hope you feel better soon.

WeAllHaveWings Mon 15-Apr-13 19:29:54

Sorry, forgot to say, their car insurance dealt with it all for them so they didn't use a personal injury claim company or pay any fees.

Would suggest you contact then before spending any serious money on treatment as they may need to approve it first.

MrsCR Mon 15-Apr-13 19:31:16

Thanks norkmonster for answering my question - much appreciated.

I apologise for misleading anyone as to the severity of my injuries which as yet are unknown

weallhavewings I too suffered from whiplash a few years ago too and did not file a claim because it was not serious enough.

I am keeping my options open, and seeing how my injury progresses.

Thanks for the open minds

MrRW Thu 04-Jul-13 21:07:08

MrsCR - Just to let you know that you could take it to the [http://personalinjuryclaiminfo.co.uk/small-claims-court/ small claims court] if the claim is going to be under £10,000. Just a useful piece of knowledge to have. You can represent yourself there, especially in cases similar to yours where they are probably going to be open and shut.

MrRW Thu 04-Jul-13 21:08:08

sorry here is the link personalinjuryclaiminfo.co.uk/small-claims-court/

Benb Wed 17-Jun-15 10:33:07

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now