Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

When Will My Period Return?

(8 Posts)
NorfolkTurkey Sun 14-May-06 21:02:38

I feel really silly for asking this!

I had DD2 in January and have breastfed her so I haven't as yet had a period (I couldn't breastfeed DD1 and period returned at six weeks).

When can I expect my period to return? I am now stopping breastfeeding as I am returning to work and am unable to express anywhere near enough.

Now here comes the embarassing part - obviously my period is going to return at some point but I am really worried about it. Is it going to be like five periods in one?? Am I going to be walking along ans suddenly have this huge gush of blood? Sorry to be so graphic!

Any reasurrance would be gratefully received!

Blunderwoman Sun 14-May-06 21:28:24

Mine started 5 months after DS was born and I was still bf at the time. I had absolutely no warning at all, and it started when I was sat in Specsavers waiting for an eye test. I suddenly felt 'wet' and asked to go to their staff loo and I'd bled so heavily that it went straight through my trousers and left a nice red stain on the wooden seat I was sitting on.

Apparently, periods are a curse from god for Eve eating an apple in the Garden of Eden or something!

Keep a towel, a spare pair of knickers and some baby wipes in your bag at all times from now on if I were you!

Millie1 Sun 14-May-06 21:35:12

Mine returned when DS1 was 12 months and when DS2 was 19 months.

HappyMumof2 Sun 14-May-06 21:43:23

Message withdrawn

NorfolkTurkey Mon 15-May-06 21:17:37

Thanks for your replies. Blunderwoman - your poor thing! This is exactly what I am worried about! Will stock up on towels etc and keep a supply in my bag and at work!!

CarolinaMoonfish Mon 15-May-06 21:20:14

omg blunderwoman!

Mine came back when I'd cut down to one feed in 24 hrs (really short token feed, one side only), and was perfectly normal if a tad painful on the first day.

ds was 15mo at the time, and fortunately it wasn't like 15 periods in one .

TheHun Mon 15-May-06 21:26:16

I breastfed until 9 months then period returned at about 12 months. It wasn't particularly bad though I was on mini pil.

jollyfolly Mon 15-May-06 21:26:16

mine came back after 5 months and i was still bf, have found in general all my periods are slightly heavier and longer now but nothing i cant cope with..... if i'd have been a bit more in touch with reality at the time (five months of no sleep) i would have probably have noticed the usual (for me) mood swings that i always get a few days before

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: