Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any radiographers/radiologists around?

(5 Posts)
PassTheTwiglets Mon 15-Apr-13 10:09:16

I had a barium swallow x-ray the other day and the doctor who did it said that everything looked fine. I am now worrying though because I'm not sure if I swallowed enough barium! He said to take a big gulp but I found that really hard and I was having quite a small swallow of it, really. So now I'm worried that I didn't swallow enough barium to coat the inside of my throat and so the x-ray might have missed something (I think the x-ray only shows up parts of your throat that is coated in barium?)

So my question is - would the radiographer have been able to tell if I hadn't swallowed enough barium?

Lonecatwithkitten Mon 15-Apr-13 13:55:45

Yes the radiographer would have been able to see if you swallowed enough they would have asked you to take another gulp then take another x-ray. I do this to dogs who are very reluctant to take the barium so we often have to give several lots.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Mon 15-Apr-13 13:58:04

You would have had more than one image taken; they track the barium as it moves down. As Lonecat says, the radiographer would have said and taken another set of images.

PassTheTwiglets Mon 15-Apr-13 14:05:19

That's great, thank you both so much - you've put my (over-active!) mind at rest smile

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Mon 15-Apr-13 14:14:41

smile I hope the results help and you're on the mend quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now