Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Post natal depression???

(3 Posts)
Doodlekitty Sun 14-Apr-13 20:40:52

Hi all

How do you know if you have post natal depression and are not just a bit tired and low? I have a 5 month old and I feel stressed and low a lot of the time and I'm having mood swings which are actually a bit scary. Tried speaking to health visitor but all she talked about was my bond with my son (I certainly have not failed to bond with him) and asking if I still looked forward to things, which I do. But I honestly don't know how my poor dh is putting up with me and I hate the way I feel. But it could just be that I'm shattered with the amazing unsleeping child. How do I know?

Crocodilehunter Sun 14-Apr-13 20:56:28

Hi doodle just stumbled across your post as I sometimes feel the exact same way as you and I have a 5mo, don't want to read & run but hope you get some good advice that I could possibly pinch too smile flowers

cravingcake Sun 14-Apr-13 22:50:31

Its so hard to know but around 4-6 months post birth is when a lot struggle with the change to your life. The novelty of a newborn is wearing off, the growth spurts, teething, lack of sleep catching up etc. My advice would be to get out for a walk in the sun shine and fresh air as much as you can, go to groups and chat to other mums. It will help you feel much less like you are the only one going through this tough stage. If you are worried then speak to your gp or health visitor. I have a history of depression so was able to recognise very quickly when i started slipping back into it. Your gp or health visitor should hopefully listen to you and help you find a way to cope. Your gp may be less helpful in talking and quickly just offer anti-depressents but dont feel this is the only option, counselling or a regular session of time out to talk about things could be enough to help you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now