Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Healthy weight/dress size

(21 Posts)
K8eee Sun 14-Apr-13 19:03:36

I don't want to start any arguments or rows but am curious to see whether I would be considered over weight for my age and height. I'm 23, and about 5 ft 6. I'm about 11 st 7 lb. is this considered to be over weight?! Some people say it is but I'm told I don't look it and my bmi is 23 but I wear a size 12-14. Is it me or do clothes shops highly differ in sizing depending where you go. E.g cheaper shops such as matalan or new look clothes come up small in your normal size where as in next they fit fine. Just wandering if any other women have the same problem. I can't get trousers or leggings to fit properly either. Round my wait I'm a 14 but the leg length is too baggy and long sad

EeyoreIsh Sun 14-Apr-13 19:07:08

Are you sure your bmi is 23? I'm 5'11" and 11.5 stone, and my bmi is 22.

SlimJimBra Sun 14-Apr-13 19:09:09

I don't get what you're asking? Clothes from different shops fit differently on different body shapes, what ever size you are. At5'6 and 11 1/2st you could be muscled or flabby, we can't tell.

K8eee Sun 14-Apr-13 19:09:19

Maybe 22, it's either of the two grin does it make a huge difference being one out?

Startail Sun 14-Apr-13 19:11:26

Who cares, do you feel happy, healthy and confidant.

I think the whole BMI graph is just another way to make Women feel stressed. Have you ever met a man who knows or cares what his is.

Stellarella123 Sun 14-Apr-13 19:12:57

I am also 5ft6 and I was 11st 2 and at doctor was classed as overweight! I lost weight down to 9st12 and was still classed as overweight at the doctors! I think 9st 9 was heaviest i could be for height, which would make me skin and bone! So I think if your comfortable and happy that's all that matters,

nulgirl Sun 14-Apr-13 19:13:00

Your BMI is 26 not 23 which puts you in the overweight category. I have lost a lot of weight over the past year and at 5ft 5 my BMI is now 24 and I'm a size 12. I still feel overweight though and am hoping to lose another stone. When I was massively overweight I thought that a size 12 would be really slim. Now I'm there I still feel chubby. A lot of it depends on how you carry your excess weight. I still have fat legs and a tummy so don't think I'll ever look slim unless I shed another 2 stone.

Areyoumadorisitme Sun 14-Apr-13 19:13:03

At 5ft 6 and 11st 7lbs your BMI is 26 which is theoretically overweight.

I know at 5ft 5 my 'ideal' weight is 9st 3lbs or so wii fit tells me! My actual weight is higher than that though!

riksti Sun 14-Apr-13 19:13:22

My maths puts your bmi to about 26. No opinion on whether it's too much or not... It was too much on me but it all depends on where you carry it and how you feel as said above.

SlimJimBra Sun 14-Apr-13 19:13:32

Your BMI is 26, at 5'6 and 11 1/2 st. To have a BMI of 23 at that height you'd need to weigh under 10 1/2 st

WillieWaggledagger Sun 14-Apr-13 19:15:09

Are you happy with your size? Do you feel healthy?

tazzle Sun 14-Apr-13 19:16:01

Up to bmi 29.9 you are not medically overweight ... whether you are happy and fit / healthy includes other matters

Clothes sizing is NO indication of what you weigh or don't. .. well not within 2-3 sizes anyway. I can get in some size 14's yet could not get on a size 20 trousers last week ! Most 16's are slack on me now and I am still losing weight,, couple stone to go

lljkk Sun 14-Apr-13 19:18:07

I am 5'8" and anything over 11 stone would feel fat to me.
Different people carry excess weight in different places, though.

K8eee Sun 14-Apr-13 19:18:29

Sorry rubbish at maths! Well I'm a 36d bra and have a small waist but bum and hips. The bits I hate are the bits I can't get rid of. Have tried fad diets, gym, aerobics, swimming but arse and hips aren't going hmm DH loves it that I'm curvy but I need to tone up. I hate how my clothes don't fit right

EeyoreIsh Sun 14-Apr-13 19:57:39

It's entirely how it feels to you. At five inches taller than you and the same weight, I feel like I sound be slimmer. But, I know I feel better half a stone lighter, but any more than that and I look weird.

If you've never been lighter, and you feel healthy, then that's fine.

If you do want to lose more weight, it sounds as if you need to do it through a permanent change in diet of exercise. It will be possible, but if you're fit and well, have a good diet and take enough exercise, then that's fine. You should focus instead on making sure your wardrobe suits you!

Rattitude Mon 15-Apr-13 18:58:59

Tazzle, you said that up to a BMI of 29.9, you are not medically overweight.

Do you mind confirming where you got this information from (as this is not in line with official guidance)?

Here are links to the WHO and the NHS which both state:

- a BMI greater than or equal to 25 is overweight
- a BMI greater than or equal to 30 is obesity.

mumondiet2013 Mon 15-Apr-13 20:16:22

I think people should top looking at the BMI its more important to have lean muscle mass that keeps your body going

tazzle Mon 15-Apr-13 20:25:36

My apologies raptitude...meant to say obese not overweight... mind bit befuggled this week as not slept much... you are of course correct.

mumondiet2013 Mon 15-Apr-13 20:29:25

I have gotten back to my pre kids weight and now want to go another mile to next level, if anyone wants to join me then come to my group of dieting where we diet together!

Rattitude Mon 15-Apr-13 20:39:09

Ok, Tazzle, no worries. I was getting a touch confused too. It does not take that much these days. wink

tazzle Mon 15-Apr-13 21:26:05

Think I am also got it in mind cos I am not far off getting below 30 which will mean I will only be overweight not obese lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now