Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

does my tooth hurt because of my bad cold?

(13 Posts)
LittleMonster100 Sun 14-Apr-13 12:51:11

I heard teeth and sinus' are all connected and have had a bad cold which had given me a terrible nosebleed for 2 days...is that why I have a terrible toothache or are the two not connected?

YoniTrix Sun 14-Apr-13 12:52:42

Yes I have had that before. It's called referred pain I think. It's nasty, hope you feel better soon.

MrsLettuce Sun 14-Apr-13 12:53:09

'Toothache' like this is often a (threatened) ear infection IME. Obviously I've never been stupid enough to go to the dentist in such a situation, oh no wink

AuntieStella Sun 14-Apr-13 12:59:00

Yes, it happens to me all the time. If a cold settles into sinus, I always get toothache as well, just to add to the misery. I find the Max Strength hot lemon drinks help (the warmth of the drink seems to help in itself, rather than just taking painkillers, but perhaps any hot drink would have much the same effect).

Gales Sun 14-Apr-13 13:03:24

Yes, me too. I often get toothache with a cold

MrsMorton Sun 14-Apr-13 13:29:49

The roots of the upper molars can lie inside the floor of the sinus and if the sinus lining gets inflamed then toothache is a common symptom.

With sinus related tooth pain usually symptoms are worse when bending forward or when "stepping" like if you were to jog or step down heavily.

LittleMonster100 Sun 14-Apr-13 13:41:30

Thank you all so much, you've saved me a trip to the dentist . It's the top back molars so sounds about right....and it definitely hurts more when I bend down.

Am currently 22 weeks pregnant so don't think I can take any medicine can I :-(

Mamf74 Sun 14-Apr-13 21:14:15

You could try steam inhalation, you can use something like Olbas Oil but in all honesty the steam is fine. Just be careful, can make me a bit giddy if the goo moves about.

Hot flannel can soothe it too, just use it like a compress on the cheekbone.

I also agree about hot / steamy drinks!

Hope you get some relief soon, it's miserable.

MmeThenardier Sun 14-Apr-13 21:50:53

Yes I get this. Speak to a pharmacist about which nosespray might be suitable.

LittleMonster100 Tue 16-Apr-13 13:56:39

Yesterday the toothache went away completely and now it's back again. My cold is still here and my nose is alternating between runny and blocked. Hope it is cold/sinus related and not because I have a tooth problem.

PetiteRaleuse Tue 16-Apr-13 14:09:21

You can use sea water nasal spray or some kind´of saline drops thing.

I was going to start a thread about this today. My until this cold healthy tooth feels achy but worse when I blow my nose. I also feel like I have ear ache. Both on the same side.

SparkyTGD Tue 16-Apr-13 14:23:15

Would think its your sinuses.

I find that lying down frequently helps, as it can drain away easier.

Wylye Tue 16-Apr-13 14:30:41

I was just told about this tooth thing last week! Have burst both my eardrums a fortnight ago due to steaming cold and ear infection, had toothache too but hadn't joined the dots - the doc who was checking on my ears asked if I'd had toothache and <lightbulb>!
Please be careful blowing your ears - not too much pressure as it can make your ears go bang.

Hope you get better soon OP!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now