Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Herbal sleep tablets

(16 Posts)
armagh Sun 14-Apr-13 11:24:36

Suggestions please. Any you have used that worked? Am desperate- i don't like taking sleeping pills. I find it hard to get to sleep. Once asleep am fine.Took some kind of herbal pills with valerian and had the most frightful nightmares but i can't remember which brand.

gingeroots Sun 14-Apr-13 17:05:00

I take night time Kalms and find that the max dose ,4 ,definitely help .

I wouldn't say that they are as effective as sleeping pills but they really do make a difference .

I believe that the effect is cumulative and I think it says this on the leaflet ,but it's possible I've made that up .

They do day time ones as well ,and you may find that if you take a couple of those during the day ,followed by the night time ones that this helps .

I would steer clear of " the one a night " Kalms as these are huge ,like horse pills .

HTH

armagh Sun 14-Apr-13 21:23:37

Thank you

armagh Mon 15-Apr-13 19:03:57

Anyone else with other suggestions?
Please

nightcat Mon 15-Apr-13 19:35:06

I noticed that if I spend too much timeon the computer justbefore bed, I find it hard to go to sleep - so I take Relaxing drops here

ANother remedy I sometimes use is melissa tea, which is also relaxing and helps me to sleep. I actually have that late pm sometimes, not necessarily just before bedtime.

armagh Mon 15-Apr-13 20:28:42

Thank you

Showtime Mon 15-Apr-13 23:46:56

Don't mix herbal tabs with prescription without proper advice. Chamomile tea at night, or lemon balm (garden plant) can help.

stewartlaura67 Tue 16-Apr-13 07:11:26

Haven't used any sleeping pill yet but you agree with showtime don’t take any pill without prescription.

BlueChampagne Tue 16-Apr-13 14:59:35

I sometimes use Dr Stuart's herbal tea www.drstuarts.com/functionalteas.htm available in healthfood shops.

armagh Tue 16-Apr-13 18:11:40

Oh no won't use herbal and prescription together. I want to use herbal instead of prescription sleeping tablets

cocolepew Tue 16-Apr-13 18:17:24

I find Nighttime Rescue Remedy to be good, or a pint of cider grin.
Friends swear by Nytol.

Nellymay Tue 16-Apr-13 19:24:06

valarian they have been proved to be better than conventional sleeping tablets

armagh Tue 16-Apr-13 21:35:34

I think Valerian caused the nughtmares!

aliasjoey Tue 16-Apr-13 21:51:36

Currently trying Melissa Dream but have been suffering insomnia for 18 months and no closer to a solution.

I do recommend sleep podcasts from the Mental Health Foundation (they're free) One of them has a vairy sexy sounding Scottish man grin

In the last year, I have had: (prescription)

seroxat
mirtazapine
prozac
mirtazapine (again)
valium
sertraline
sertraline and mirtazapine

and tried (non-prescription):

herbal teas (valerian, hops)
cherry juice (until I found out that study was funded by the Cherry Juice manufacturers hmm )
melissa (tablets or teas)
promethazine (an anti-histamine)

still to try (depends how desperate I get):

buspirone or pregabalin
melatonin is supposed to be a natural sleep aid which works well, but you can't get it in the UK except on t'internet

Sorry not to be of more help. Of all the above, I think the podcasts helped the most.

willyhaschips Tue 16-Apr-13 22:03:20

I swear by Clipper Teas Sleep Easy. Have had lots of trouble sleeping since starting perimenopause but this really works for me!

BlueChampagne Wed 17-Apr-13 13:41:23

SiL swears by meditation CDs, following aliasjoey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now