Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Vagnal discharge and itching for 2 years now

(11 Posts)
hermioneweasley Sat 13-Apr-13 20:31:20

I have been tested multiple times for thrush, BV, TV (whatever that may be). Tests are always clear.

I have had vaginal itching with discharge (pale And creamy, occasionally smelly but ipnot all the time)

I'm on the pill, but In past 6 months my periods are much heavier, sometimes passing things that look like small chicken breasts (not just clots, I've always had clots, these things are huuuuge)

Taking a probiotic seems to help. I had 9 months on itracnazole (broad spectrum anti fungal) which improved it but didn't get rid of it entirely.

I don't think it's lichen sclerosus - I've had so many medical professionals poking around there I'm sure someone would have noticed.

So ladies, what should I ask to be investigated for next?

Leo35 Sat 13-Apr-13 20:42:03

Hi I thought that if they did a swab test that they would test for a broad spectrum of possibilities? I had a swab in order to confirm thrush and the lab found Group B Strep. That had symptoms same as you describe.

Given all the symptoms and the length of time and treatment could you ask to see the Gynae unit at your local hospital?

best of luck getting it all sorted out.

hermioneweasley Sat 13-Apr-13 21:17:44

Thanks Leo. I am seeing a gynae at the moment. Have also seen GP and been to the STD clinic (shudder). Forgive my ignorance, but what is Group B strep?

Leo35 Sat 13-Apr-13 21:46:15

It's a bacterial infection that's a problem for pregnant women because of the consequence of passing onto your newborn.

I wasn't pregnant when I developed this infection. I was very run down owing to lack of sleep (DS2 was about a year old at the time), and I probably did have thrush as well. Most of the NHS info on the infection is around developing it in pregnancy.

I'd got shed loads of prescription ABs from GPs to treat the "chronic thrush" and there had been natural yoghurt all over the shop if you get my meaning. The Group B strep was news to me!

Sounds like you are in touch with all the right people. Can they shed any light on what has been happening? How are you feeling? I felt worn out and unwell. Not like having 'flu but generally tired and fed up.

hermioneweasley Sat 13-Apr-13 22:00:26

I work full time in a crazy busy job with 2 kids. - I always feel tired and unwell! I can't remember what's felt like 2 years ago.

Leo35 Sun 14-Apr-13 20:49:02

Apols - my comments weren't very helpful! You must be feeling rotten if your body has been trying to fight an infection, of whatever sort, for so long. Would the Gynae and GP check out other things like your bloods to make sure that you are in general good health as well as checking out what the infection is?

I do feel for you, it awful knowing that something is wrong but the GPs are not getting the diagnosis right. I saw two docs (one at the out of hours surgery at a weekend, the other one of the regular roster at my surgery) and had lots of anti-fungal meds (not ABs as I wrote before) before another GP questioned the diagnosis, as I wasn't getting better, and started again with a swab sample.

I hope that you get some answers and treatment soon. Best of luck and take care of yourself.

hermioneweasley Mon 15-Apr-13 20:13:48

Thanks Leo, I really appreciate you taking the time to give advice and share your experience. I wasn't being snarky, just genuinely can't remember what I felt like so long ago when it started. From time to time I think "well maybe it's normal to have itching and discharge" but I know I didn't always used to have it and friends assure me that it isn't normal.

I think I will ask for blood tests. Am on the pill so they keep insisting it can't be hormones.

timidviper Mon 15-Apr-13 20:26:04

This might be a daft question but you aren't washing too much are you? Sometimes being too clean can upset the flora and cause these issues. It's a vicious circle, you become concerned about discharge and smell so wash more which worsens it and so on

Leo35 Mon 15-Apr-13 20:39:41

No worries Hermione. I didn't read your post as snarky - more of a wail! I was like that also: I had felt rotten for so long, what was it like to feel well? Look after yourself.

hermioneweasley Mon 15-Apr-13 21:22:18

Thanks Leo

Timid - no, not over washing, but thanks for thinking of me.

Dawndonna Tue 16-Apr-13 08:20:43

Somebody on a menopause thread discussesd something similar and was told Vaginal Atrophy.magimeds post

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: