Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How to rebuild my gut fauna and flora when I come off penicilin?

(3 Posts)
duchesse Sat 13-Apr-13 18:45:05

I've been put on a fairly whacking dose of penicillin for 10 days- 500mg 4x daily to get rid of a wound infection. I'm kind of hoping it'll take my long-running sinus issue with it which would be a good thing, but am also aware that it will probably upset me innards somewhat. I'm thinking it's a golden opportunity to rebuild a healthy fauna and flora. So what should I focus on eating when I come off the ABs? Am I right in thinking mostly fruit and veg at first, as few grains, sugars and white carbs as possible? Any advice gratefully received!

Floralnomad Sat 13-Apr-13 18:47:02

Have you been drinking at least one bottle of probiotic a day ? Your GP should have recommended that when px the antibiotics as its now standard practice in hospital ( in our area) for people on ABs to have 2 probiotics per day

duchesse Sat 13-Apr-13 18:51:36

Nope. Only been on the ABs since yesterday morning though and felt so rotten yesterday that I spent most of the day in bed although I've been out to do a litter pick today. I've ordered some Biogaia tablets, which should arrive in a few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now