Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

numb hand and arms at night...should I be worried?

(14 Posts)
mumblemumhome4lunch Fri 12-Apr-13 23:26:10

For the last few weeks I've been woken a couple of times a night with both hands/lower arms numb. When I wake up I'm on my back, but I've always slept mostly on my back except when pregnant or co-sleeping and never had this problem before.

It feels very odd and it's exhausting when added to the usual nighttime wakings of a young family of 4!

I'm slightly worried what might happen if I don't wake up one night! I've tried going to sleep on my side but don't seem to stay like that - my body likes being on my back to sleep.

Should I go see my GP or is this nothing?

elfycat Fri 12-Apr-13 23:30:48

It could be carpal tunnel syndrome. The nerves run through tunnels in your wrists (carpal bones) and if they get a bit pinched your hands go numb. I got it in pregnancy and I still get it if I lie wrong.

There is surgery available (ex theatre nurse) if it disturbs your sleep too much. Mine doesn't seem that bed. You would need to see your GP to get this checked out and make sure that it is this rather than something else wrong with your back or arms.

elfycat Fri 12-Apr-13 23:32:36

If you are OK taking it otherwise (and are fit and well, read the leaflet etc) you might find ibuprofen helps in its anti-inflammatory role.

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 12-Apr-13 23:40:10

Are your pinky fingers and the next finger numb, with a numb strip extending from the pinky to the elbow? Or almost to the elbow? Could be due to compressed nerves in the neck - try sleeping with no pillow, or 1 pillow if you usually sleep with 2 (worked for me).

lougle Fri 12-Apr-13 23:42:30

Do you wear a bra in bed? Bra straps can sometimes cause those symptoms.

RawCoconutMacaroon Fri 12-Apr-13 23:44:27

And yes, see your gp.

MrsShrek3 Sat 13-Apr-13 13:18:10

get it checked out. GP can refer you on for tests.
however it's not necessarily something "nasty" - I have this and at first it was (mis)diagnosed as carpal tunnel, then through tests found to be the 'other tunnel' (sorry name forgotten) in my elbow rather than my wrist. similar symptoms to yours. I wear splints at night - they sort it when it is bad. it does come and go and I have no clue why.

leastsaidsoonestmended Sat 13-Apr-13 13:31:29

I get this too. It is horrible waking up with dead arms.

In my case it seems to be mainly caused by nerve compression in my elbows ( cubital tunnel ) and also carpal tunnel problems. I don't have splints but when it is bad I use a diy device of a car washing sponge held in place at my elbow, with a bit of support bandage which does seem to help.
Get it checked though as they can do tests to check the nerve function.

Sparkletastic Sat 13-Apr-13 13:34:16

It was a symptom of my autoimmune hypothyroidism - any other symptoms?

stomp Sat 13-Apr-13 17:34:10

Oo, I get this too in the night but it also hurts like hell from my elbow to my fingers...I can usually move and it will go away- except my little finger still feels numb. I've been meaning to go to the gp but there's always something more pressing to do instead wink ...in other words i'm a chicken

Queenofknickers Sat 13-Apr-13 18:33:15

Please go to GP -I had this and it was herniated discs in my neck pressing on nerves. Don't leave it thanks

digerd Sat 13-Apr-13 20:35:14

I've had it too now and again for the last 20 years. Go for months without it and then last week I had it , and then a stiff neck too.
It's when I sleep in a wrong position or probably as I started doing gardening again last weekend.

MrsShrek3 Sat 13-Apr-13 21:46:58

dig my mum also tells me off and blames gardening. bet you're right too.

Ginga66 Sun 14-Apr-13 00:31:19

I get this and am awaiting a scan to see if it's disc or linked to a per existing brain condition. If its just outer two fingers more likely to be nerves I think but if it's more possible disc for me anyway. Get it checked as you will have to wait for referrals anyway x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now