Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Statins & monitoring Cholesterol

(4 Posts)
Pleiades45 Fri 12-Apr-13 16:40:44

DH was put on statins many about 7 years ago for high cholesterol levels, it runs in the family and our GP advised that diet wasn't enough to bring it under control. At the time we were living in Ireland and the procedure was that he could get 3 months tablets and then had to have a blood test before further prescriptions were issued. This way the doctor could monitor if the dose needed to be increased or decreased.

We're now living in Wales and has been told by our GP that once diagnosed, no more tests are done to ascertain the levels and that a standard dose of statin is given. Last year he was told that he would need to have kidney/liver tests as statins can cause damage but this year when his prescription was reviewed there was no talk of any type of tests. He was just handed a new prescription.

Does anyone know, is this the normal procedure? I thought regular monitoring would be essential. Is this a cost cutting exercise or is it really so simple?

digerd Fri 12-Apr-13 18:34:23

When was the last time, if ever, he had his liver and kidney function tested?

I've been on statins for 5 years now, but came off them for a year as was experiencing muscle weakness, but was put back on them 2 years ago.
I think I've had only one test for liver and kidney function during this time.

TheLightPassenger Fri 12-Apr-13 19:06:51

I take statins and have yearly blood tests

Pleiades45 Wed 17-Apr-13 16:21:42

thanks for the replies.

The only liver & kidney function test was last year. His cholesterol levels haven't been checked in 3 years.

In Ireland the cholesterol was monitored so regularly that we've been a bit startled by the lack of monitoring over here. I just wanted to see what the norm was.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now