Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

blood test question

(8 Posts)
MegGriffin Fri 12-Apr-13 16:00:44

Hello. Today I had a fasting glucose blood test and kidney function blood test. Does anyone know whether they do a full blood count as standard with every blood test or would it just be for these specific things. They took 3 pots of blood from me.

Sidge Fri 12-Apr-13 16:24:02

They will only do what's been requested on the blood form - so if only those 2 things were requested then they wouldn't do a full blood count as well.

What colour were the bottles they took?

MegGriffin Fri 12-Apr-13 16:50:42

Thank you Sidge. I think purple, grey and mustard but could be wrong. I remember they were coloured but didn't really take in the colours.

MegGriffin Fri 12-Apr-13 16:52:40

I did look at the screen and there were three things reqiested but I cant remember the third although it didnt say anything that looked like fbc.

Sidge Fri 12-Apr-13 17:45:36

Purple is usually for the full blood count, gold for the kidney function (and other stuff!) and grey for glucose.

So you may well have had all three done.

MegGriffin Fri 12-Apr-13 17:59:07

Thanks Sidge smile

digerd Fri 12-Apr-13 18:12:42

I had 3 vials taken, but did not notice colours as all red with my blood.

I had a full blood count, including lipids and Thyroid function

MegGriffin Fri 12-Apr-13 18:29:49

It was the colour of the lids digerd. The vials were on the nurses desk before she started ready to use.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now