Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Muscle Diseases

(6 Posts)
CajaDeLaMemoria Fri 12-Apr-13 12:11:59

Hello smile

I've just had a rather confusing letter from my neurologist stating that she suspects one of my diagnosis' may be wrong, and that in fact I have a 'muscle disease or spinal condition'.

I've called to clarify what she meant, but she's currently away until July, so my "urgent" appointment is months away. Her colleague recommended that I research the conditions, so we can talk about them next time.

Googling seems to bring up a few conditions, but not much. I know I could wait, but I'm very anxious, and I'd much rather know if I "fit": this would potentially mean I have a treatable, manageable condition rather than something that will eventually be a death sentence.

Does anyone know where I could find information on muscle diseases? I'd be very grateful!

AMumInScotland Fri 12-Apr-13 12:36:45

I think you'd be better of chasing the colleague about exactly which conditions she thinks your neurologist thought you should research - Dr Google needs some kind of starting point hmm

Madsometimes Fri 12-Apr-13 13:00:12

I would book an appointment with your GP to discuss this. My GP is great at decoding consultant-speak although my consultant does not always write letters to my GP, so it isn't easy.

Madsometimes Fri 12-Apr-13 13:30:25

Also your GP can put in a pointed phone call to the consultant's colleague to request more information. Suggesting you google various conditions which you may or may not have is distinctly unhelpful.

CajaDeLaMemoria Fri 12-Apr-13 13:36:27

I thought that might be the case!

I've asked the colleague to call me again, and I'll book a GP's appointment.

I'm a bit concerned that they are going to leave me wondering until July (I have very bad anxiety anyway!) and also that the medication that causes me so many problems might not be right/doing me any good.

Thanks everyone smile

digerd Fri 12-Apr-13 18:39:25

Have you noticed a weakening of your muscles - mores aches than usual doing normal activities>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now