Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Anyone with CDH had a hip replacement?

(8 Posts)
Turniphead1 Thu 11-Apr-13 20:46:36

Just wondered if anyone had had this done. I have been due a hip replacement for a number of years. Looking to find people's experience of particular consultants to do the surgery.

SisterMonicaJoan Thu 11-Apr-13 21:01:33

What is CDH?

I have Avascular Necrosis and severe osteoarthritis - am due a hip replacement shortly.

Whereabouts are you?

Turniphead1 Thu 11-Apr-13 22:39:47

Hi there. It's congenitally dislocated hip - I think it's called Developmental Dysplasia nowadays.

I am in London. Who is doing your op if you don't mind me asking? I hope it goes very well. That sounds like a tough condition at the moment.

Mac33 Fri 12-Apr-13 14:14:16


I had CDH and then arthritis and now I need a hip replacement. I've seen the local consultant and now I'm being referred to a specialist at UCL who deals in "young" people (I'm 34). Who are you looking at consultant wise?


Turniphead1 Fri 12-Apr-13 16:55:00

Hi Merry - Is it JW you are looking at at UCH? Did they rule you out for a periacetabular osteotomy because of arthritic damage?

I wanted to see Marcus Bankes privately or JW - but my insurance company refuses to cover me for them (despite having covered for them 4 years ago).

The main thing is that it needs to be a hip specialist who has lots of CDH (or DDH as its now called) experience. Ins company keep trying to get me to see general orthopaedic surgeons. Which is driving me mad.

I have just discovered a great ebook called A Guide for Adults with Hip Dysplasia - have you come across it. Its really excellent and written by a doc with bilateral DDH. You can get it from for about £8. I have also just joined a facebook group called Adult Hip Dysplasia that seems very informative.

I hope your consultation goes well when you have it and that your pain is much improved.

Mac33 Fri 12-Apr-13 19:55:32

Hi Turnip,

Oops! Yes it is JW at UCH. Let's hope I turn up at the right place!

Apparently my joint is not suitable for resurfacing, the local consultant confirmed this a couple of years ago. I know that the socket and the ball need sorting and there's also a canal in my hip? It's difficult trying to remember everything that was said.

I'll look for that E-book, thanks for the info xx

Can you not get referred to either of the consultants you want or is that not possible through insurance? Would you consider going through the NHS?

Turniphead1 Fri 12-Apr-13 22:31:12

Mac33 - that's great that its JW! He's supposed to be great. Let me know what he recommends.

Turniphead1 Fri 12-Apr-13 22:35:10

Oh re insurance - it's to do with the terms of the policy. Certain consultants not sign up to their fee limits so they won't let me select either.
I could try going via NHS but could be a long wait & would worry that on the day I wouldn't get the named consultant ( that is probably daft). I think I will probably be able to argue that I need to see these specialists.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: