Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Ulcers on heel - heel caps anyone?

(6 Posts)
Austin7 Thu 11-Apr-13 09:37:28

I would be really grateful if anyone could help me advise my 94 year old dad who's developed a really painful ulcer on his heel. One of his few remaining pleasures is a short walk around the block. The practice nurse has given him iodine patches etc but just wondering if anyone can suggest any device that may help avoid pressure so that when it heals a bit he can resume his short walks, as he is driving my mum potty grumbling. Thanks in advance

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Thu 11-Apr-13 18:38:03

Austin7 has he got the heel ulcers from bed rest? If so he needs either a slight leg raise or a sheepskin mat or heel cup.
He really needs to focus on not weightbearing on his heels and moving regularly at night.
The heel cups are good, I would ask the GP for a referral to the Podiatry service. They are experts at foot wound care and would be the best bet for a quick resolution.

Austin7 Fri 12-Apr-13 08:20:32

Thanks very much for your advice. I'm going over today and will sort out gp and podiatrist etc. no he's not been on bed rest - maybe just age related. Felt silly after I'd posted this on Mumsnet as its very much an older person ailment, so thanks again.

TheAccidentalExhibitionist Fri 12-Apr-13 09:14:15

Don't feel silly, there is such a range of expertise on here, why not make use of it?
Heel ulcers on the back of the heel come because either there is an issue such as Diabetes or because the blood is being pushed out whilst sitting or lying down. They can come from a normal about of time in bed overnight if you DF is lying in the same position.
The iodine patches will work at treat if there is infection but may delay heeling if there isn't.
Good luck with the Podiatry referral.

CMOTDibbler Sat 13-Apr-13 10:07:25

I'd def make sure he gets to podiatry asap. They really are the ones who have kept my dads feet going much longer than I thought possible

gingeroots Sat 13-Apr-13 18:32:33

Another vote for podiatrist to visit .

I'm a bit hmm about the thought of a 94 year old with heel ulcers being sent off with some dressing to look after himself .

But maybe he's a very healthy 94 year old who will find it easy to see and dress his own heels .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now