Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

this is the third thread I've started about my chest infection and I feel like I'm going crazy

(12 Posts)
beatlegirl Mon 08-Apr-13 17:59:18

I've had a nasty cough for at least 3 weeks now. Probably nearer a month.
Over the easter weekend I went to a walk in centre and was prescribed antibiotics, as my chest was apparently 'noisy'.

I then got a nasty stomach bug- about 2 days into the antibiotics- which only lasted 24 hours but was hideous. I'm mentioning this as I thought it may have interfered with the antibiotics.

I felt a bit better, completed the course oof antibiotics, but it never fully went away. Since Thursday I have been getting worse again. I'm coughing loads, lots of phlem, and my chest hurts on the right hand side.
I'm also quite breathless.

So I rang my doctors today, and was given an appointment with a locum. He listened to my chest and said it was completely clear, and that if the antibiotics hadn't worked that was proof that it's a virus, not an infection.

He says the pain in my chest maybe due to sleeping funny. He said to give it time and it would go away on it's own. When I told him how long I'd had it, he looked shocked and just said 'Well, your chest is clear'

I asked if he had any advice for feeling better and he recommended over the counter cough medicine.

I'm at the end of my tether. I feel worse than I ever remember feeling before and I feel like the doctor is dismissing it as nothing.

Is there anyone with medical knowledge who can advise me?

beatlegirl Mon 08-Apr-13 18:12:17

Bump!

stargirl1701 Mon 08-Apr-13 18:13:36

Talk to a pharmacist. I find them far more useful than doctors in these circumstances.

chocolatespiders Mon 08-Apr-13 18:15:39

I don't have medical knowledge but a few people at work have had a nasty virus which has left them so breathless they went to a and e.
Potters cough medicine is meant to be good I have seen it on mumsnet and they sell it in Tesco. You could inhale steam to clear your airways.

Lucyellensmum95 Mon 08-Apr-13 18:18:19

A lot of people i know (including me sad ) have had this, it just clings, and clings - it does sound like a viral infection and of course the antibiotics wont have worked, at all, other than to prevent secondary baceterial infections. Your chest probably hurts due to the fact that you have been coughing and now your "tubes" are irritated, it will take a while to go away.

I would try and do "inhalations" i went to my doctor after bringing up loads of phlegm and was told my chest was clear, i made a hmm face at her and she said that it tends to be from your nose and throat and that inhalations would work - definately recommend doing that as it really helped me.

Go for a cough medicine with guafenisen in it as that will clear any mucous - i like meltus, but can buy boots own, exactly the same but cheaper.

sarahandemily Mon 08-Apr-13 18:19:22

I had a similar situation about a year ago, kept going back to the doctors. Firstly I was sent for a chest x-ray just to make sure there was nothing serious going on. Like you my chest was clear but I couldn't stop coughing. The third doc I saw diagnosed post viral asthma and I was given blue and brown inhalers and steroids. The inhalers seemed to help and it eventually cleared up but took at least 2 months. Don't really know if it was the meds or if it cleared up on its own.
Hopefully like me it will clear up soon enough but I would go back to the docs if you are not feeling better in a week or so

beatlegirl Mon 08-Apr-13 18:35:55

Thanks for replies. Lucyellensmum, do you mean like inhaling steam over a basin? I haven't tried that, I'll give it a go tonight.

It's good to hear other people have had the same, at least I'm not imagining it. I just feel rotten- so crap I could cry. I'm not wishing it was something worse, I just wanted him to say 'It's this, take this medicine'. And get better.

chocolatespiders Mon 08-Apr-13 18:59:21

You can put boiling water into sink and towel over your head or into a bowl. Maybe put some vicks into it. Hope it helps

chocolatespiders Mon 08-Apr-13 19:01:49

DD had it to and was in the middle of her work experience, I took her to the gp and like you I wanted him to give her something to clear it up and so she could get back to her work experience.

Sleeping propped up helped her as did the steam and cough medicine, I also gave her Manuka honey smile

chocolatespiders Mon 08-Apr-13 19:02:54

GP did give her and inhaler because she kept saying she was struggling to breathe.- sorrry for all the posts I keeping forgetting things

happyfrogger Mon 08-Apr-13 19:08:53

Feeling your pain, OP. I've had a cough and cold for 6 WEEKS! And norovirus in the middle of all this. Last week it turned into painful sinusitis, which I've not had before. The sickness just goes on and on and on...

It's infuriating. GP has also told me 'viral infection', wait it out. To put salt in the wound I'm pregnant and can't take any decent medicine. I'm that desperate I've today started trying homeopathy (yes, that desperate) and tomorrow I'm trying acupuncture to see if that does anything. I've heard good things but only tried it once before for something completely different.

Otherwise fresh juices if you have a juices - put ginger in it, even if you don't like it apparently it has some magical qualities smile Or ginger infused tea. Put eucalyptus oil on your pillow and in your bath (or shake the bottle around your shower). Yes to steam over a basin, again put some eucalyptus oil in if you have some. If you don't, it's a good thing to have in the bathroom cabinet for these stuffed up moments.

Whilst I'm still sick, I'll keep do all these things in the hope that one is surely going to help soon, I'm also at death's door so it's nice to have some company there. Get well soon smile

beatlegirl Mon 08-Apr-13 19:35:00

Thank you so much for all these replies. I'm determined to shake it this week. I've started on some vitamin tablets and DH has made me some chicken soup for tomorrow's lunch.
I don't have eucalyptus but I have olbas oil. Will give juicing a go tomorrow. Had forgotten about Manuka honey- will try that too.
HappyFrogger, it must be hideous while pregnant. Hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now