Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chest pains!!

(11 Posts)
Marne Mon 08-Apr-13 08:53:36

Hi, i quite often get this pain in my chest which realy hurts when i breathe in (stabbing pain), sometimes i have to take very short breaths because its so painful. These attacks sometimes happen once a week and then sometimes i can go a month without one. I have been getting them for a few years and often its when i am in bed or sat upright (not when exersizing, walking etc..). I have never been to the gp about it, mainly because i think they will just tell me its reflux.

This morning i woke at 3am with a pain in my chest, not like it has been before, not the sharp pain when i breath in but just a continuess pain at the bottom of my left brest (almost like someone was sitting on my chest), i was able to breath ok but the pain was very uncomfortable and lasted half an hour.

A month ago i started having a few dizzy spells when stood up, this maybe linked? i put it down to low blood presure as i have had this before and it made me feel slightly dizzy.

I know i need to go to the GP and will try and get an appointment today but any ideas what it might be? could it just be reflux or something more serious? I am only 31, not overweight as such and quite active.

Go to the GP - it would be wrong of anyone to try and diagnose over the internet.

Sorry if that sounded a bit stern!

Marne Mon 08-Apr-13 09:00:09

Thanks WhereBe, im try to get seen today, was just hoping someone would come and tell me they have the same symptoms and its reflux grin.

purplewithred Mon 08-Apr-13 09:01:16

Could be loads of things but chest pain is always taken seriously, especially crushing continuous pains. If you'd phoned anyone last night about it you'd have got a category A response from an ambulance. I would certainly try to see the GP today if it was me and if it happens again in the meantime I would actually call an ambulance. Could be one of a billion trivial things but not something to mess about with.

Marne Mon 08-Apr-13 09:07:54

I was in bed alone (dh was on the sofa) i stupidly didnt try and shout for him as i didn't want to wake the kids up, i should have really, the other attacks only lasted a few minutes which is why i have never gone to gp.

Madsometimes Mon 08-Apr-13 09:11:44

Good luck Marne. Make sure you see a GP today, even if the receptionist tells you that they are booked for the next three weeks. Even if it is something innocent (and hopefully it is), you will not have wasted anyone's time.

Marne Mon 08-Apr-13 10:47:00

Thank you, i have just got back from the gp, i phoned for an appointment and they didn't have any, i then told them i needed to be seen today as i have had chest pain and they told me to come straight in, i had 2 doctors waiting for me, was striped off (top half) and hooked up to the ECG machine, all was clear and blood presure was fine. Doctor thinks its not hart related and is probably gut related. I have to go back friday for a check up. I feel a bit silly as i probably held up half the surgery sad, at least i know i'm not going to drop dead any time soon.

Madsometimes Mon 08-Apr-13 12:34:03

No need to feel silly. It's good that you were taken seriously, and even better that your heart is fine.

MajesticWhine Mon 08-Apr-13 12:47:38

Don't feel silly - you have not wasted anyone's time, and these things should always be checked out.
I have had very similar pains to what you described. I googled like mad, and was convinced I had pericarditis. I had a full check up, blood tests, ECG etc and got the all clear. In fact when they tested my cholesterol, which is good, they practically laughed in my face at the suggestion I could have a heart problem, as I am apparently at very low risk. All of which is very reassuring... but I still wish I had a proper explanation.
They also told me it was most likely gut related or possibly muscular. In other words they didn't have clue. I have never suffered from heartburn or acid indigestion, and the pain was not related to when I ate a meal, so I was convinced it wasn't a digestion thing. I haven't had it for several months thankfully. But my GP told me if I had any similar chest pains to get seen straight away, even if I had to go to A&E.

Marne Mon 08-Apr-13 13:50:42

Thank you for making me feel better.

I take Naproxen for back pain and also have to take a tablet to line my stomach (to protect from the Naproxen), i ment to take the Naproxen every day but because it bakes me very bunged up i just take it when i need it (when i'm in pain i will take them for 2 days and then stop), apparently even if i only take them every so often i should still be taking the stomach ones every day, i had just been taking them when i take the naproxen. The doctor thinks this may be the cause (though i am not convinced as i have had the pains before i started the naproxen), so i have to take them for a few days and then go back.

Thankyou for coming back to update us.

At least you now know and we can stop worrying about you grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now