Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Abnormal Smear

(7 Posts)
StickEmUpPunk Sat 06-Apr-13 14:56:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EuroShaggleton Sat 06-Apr-13 15:09:32

Did they find abnormal cells? If so, what grade?

After years of normal smears, I had my first abnormal result last year. The HPV virus is the cause of the vast majority of cervical abnormalities. They used to just focus on finding abnormal cells but in some areas they are now testing for high risk HPV strains in the smear sample.

The bad news is that there is no treatment for HPV. The good news is that in most people, the immune system suppresses it and it causes no harm.

A colposcopy is fine - I had two. Basically they insert a speculum and then look at the cervix through a magnifying camera (it looks like a giant pink doughnut hmm) and paint it with a couple of different solutions that help to show up abnormal cells. If they find any abnormal areas, they take a biopsy.

I had 2 abnormal smears, showing the presence of high risk HPV, but nothing showed up on either of the colposcopies. I'm now on a 6 month smear schedule to keep an eye on things- next one is next week.

StickEmUpPunk Sat 06-Apr-13 15:17:47

EuroShaggleton Sat 06-Apr-13 15:25:08

I had the same - CIN1 and high risk HPV. After my two abnormal smear tests (one by the GP and one by gynae at the same time as the first colposcopy so only a couple of weeks apart) I've had one normal smear. Fingers crossed next week's is the same!

As I understand it, the abnormal cells are the result of the HPV attacking your cervix - most people will fight it off and go on to have no problem. HPV is basically basically an invisible form of the wart/verucca virus (sorry, but it's true!) so in the same way most people who come into contact with it will get a verruca, it will go after a few months and that will be it, on a few people it will go crazy and their entire foot will be covered because for whatever reason the body couldn't beat the virus.

I was in the middle of IVF when I got my result so it was a source of huge stress to try to sort everything out (and why I had two colposcopies close together) but it was really fine.

follygirl Sat 06-Apr-13 15:29:56

I had an abnormal smear about 6 years ago.

I had a colposcopy and they scraped some of the cells out. I had 6 monthly smear tests for a while and am now on yearly ones.

So far so good and although it's not pleasant having such frequent smears it's so reassuring knowing that I'm being monitored.

Did you mention the bleed to the doctor?

LordEmsworth Sat 06-Apr-13 15:30:30

I freaked out completely when I had my first abnormal smear. Went for the colposcopy, at which point they decided to take a biopsy.

My diagnosis came back 2 weeks later - CIN 3 (CIN 1 = no treatment, CIN 2/3 = treatment needed). So then I had another appointment, for a loop excision, where they removed the abnormal cells. The treatment was actually not at all painful (done with anaesthetic), whereas when they took the biopsy they nearly had to peel me off the ceiling afterwards.

The worst thing was the worry about what they were going to find.... but the thing is that if they get it before it becomes cancerous it's really easy to "fix". So really, we ought to be really happy about having an abnormal smear confused

StickEmUpPunk Sat 06-Apr-13 15:40:35

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now