Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sore neck.. is it worth a trip to the docs?

(8 Posts)
FlowerPotMum Fri 05-Apr-13 17:54:20

I woke this morning with a stinking headache, again, I've had it for the last three or four days it's managed with over the counter painkillers. I've also had a sore throat and general aches and pains.
Over the course of the day I have developed the most excruciating pain in my neck. It's stiff and I'm struggling to lift my head into an upright position sad.
I've taken paracetamol and ibruofen which had eased it slightly but it's still painful.
I'm wondering if it's somehow related to the sore throat and headache? I don't remember pulling it or anything.
I'm not a fan of the doctor and mine is long closed by now. Is there any point at all in phoning nhs direct or do I grin and bear it while popping pills?
Thank you for any advice smilesmile

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Fri 05-Apr-13 17:55:49

You should always get a stiff/sore neck and a headache checked out. Give NHS direct a call and get yourself checked out. I hope all is well.

sittinginthesun Fri 05-Apr-13 17:58:50

Agree - stiff or sore neck, with a temperature, are worth checking out. Do you have an out of hours place?

How are your eyes? Are you okay with light?

FlowerPotMum Fri 05-Apr-13 18:11:35

Thank you both smile . I have no temperature just a general feeling of 'mehh' (I think that's the medical term wink ). My eyes are fine, no adversion to light etc.
The painkillers are really kicking in now so wondering if I'm being a little over dramatic. I'm not generally a wuss with pain but this was awful earlier.
Thank you again.

LadyMaryQuiteContrary Fri 05-Apr-13 18:14:10

There's a very nasty virus going around; muscle pain, headache, then a barking cough and a sore throat. We are not doctors and can't see you over the web so you should really contact NHS direct. wink

FlowerPotMum Fri 05-Apr-13 18:17:24

Very true

FlowerPotMum Fri 05-Apr-13 18:20:20

Whoops posted too soon. Very true I'm going for a hot soak in a minute to see if that helps. I'll ring later this evening if its still painful.
Thank you again, bloody Easter viruses! My SChool had chicken pox last week.. possible connection?!

Makingchanges Fri 05-Apr-13 18:32:41

I would go to GPs but just to add I have had a cold with sore throat, headache and then when felt like a pulled neck muscle from mid week. Headache etc now gone. And just left with sore throat and neck pain. I did mention it at dr and generally told a bug but if got worse go back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now