Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

It can't come back can it ?.... After all this time ??

(8 Posts)
bizzey Wed 03-Apr-13 21:31:44

My mum had breast cancer in '96. She was lucky and only had to have lumpectomy,lymp nodes removed and Radiotherapy and tamoxofin.

She has now found a lump near where her other one was . I haven't seen it yet and am only going on her garbled say so !

She is sort of discharged from the Marsden in Fullham but they always said to ring if there were any problems ....I am going to ring them tomorrow as opposed to going to GP first and see what they say .

After all this time ...could it come back ...she is 73?

Thanks

Kat101 Wed 03-Apr-13 22:23:06

Yes it could, sorry. Well done for getting it checked so promptly. My MIL was initially diagnosed in 1998 and it has come back twice (local reoccurence) but has not spread all over.

bizzey Wed 03-Apr-13 22:55:57

Thanks Kat1 ...I am keeping her positive ...but I like to be prepared !

sashh Thu 04-Apr-13 06:02:04

Sorry but yes it can.

My mum went 5 years between cancer in one breast and then cancer in the other.

I said "Well at least you can't get it again", I was wrong.

bizzey Thu 04-Apr-13 15:20:11

Thanks guys ....I suppose we thought that as we had got to 16 years with nothing we were out of the woods ?...Going to be refered back to the Marsden and hope for the best ...Though I have read that if it is a local reoccurance....it might be a mascectomy this time as no more radio can be done ??

girlsyearapart Thu 04-Apr-13 15:24:58

The marsden are brilliant ime.
My friend who is also my lodger had testicular cancer around 10 years ago and had been discharged.
Two years ago he felt funny and phoned the marsden after gp being fairly unsatisfactory.
It turned out he had stomach cancer. All dealt with very quickly and efficiently.
Hope your mum is ok.

bizzey Thu 04-Apr-13 17:09:15

Bugger ...it has just hit me now !! I am fab at delayed reactions !!

girlsyearapart Fri 05-Apr-13 08:19:54

Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing but she's been referred to the best place if it is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now