Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

omg, i found a lump...

(26 Posts)
bluebell222 Wed 03-Apr-13 01:20:44

in my breast tonight. it is about the size of a chickpea.
i feel shocked, trying to be calm.
i am lone parent which makes me scared for my child.
how will i calm down and go to sleep?

DialMforMummy Wed 03-Apr-13 01:23:58

I have had a few of those (one at a time), all checked, all clear, just pointless cysts. They come and go and sometimes were gone before the referral to the breast clinic.
HTH

bluebell222 Wed 03-Apr-13 01:25:28

thank you so much DialMforMummy smile

thornrose Wed 03-Apr-13 01:26:34

God, sorry, you must be shell shocked. I'm sure statistically most lumps end up being benign.
I get the lone parent fear sad
I can hold your hand?

bluebell222 Wed 03-Apr-13 01:27:48

yes please thornrose smile, thank you.

bluebell222 Wed 03-Apr-13 01:30:48

i had a cyst before at the back of my neck, when i was very stressed, it disappeared itself after some time.
nowadays i feel very stressed, especialy today was quite bad and at night while dressing i found it.

DialMforMummy Wed 03-Apr-13 01:33:00

The chickpea bit sounds just like mine. <holds hand>

thornrose Wed 03-Apr-13 01:33:12

There are so many stories of cysts and harmless lumps you need to believe that is what you have.
Don't even let your mind go to worst case scenario tonight. Breathe deeply and tell yourself you will be fine. Get bloody mad if you have to. You are NOT going to be ill, you CAN'T be ill....

bluebell222 Wed 03-Apr-13 01:35:54

thanks so much to both of you smile
you calmed me down a lot really.
best wishes.

bluebell222 Wed 03-Apr-13 01:36:54

flowers

DialMforMummy Wed 03-Apr-13 01:38:22

Off to sleep for now, please do the same, the more tired you are, the more you'll worry or maybe that's just me

thornrose Wed 03-Apr-13 01:39:29

I really hope you'll sleep tonight. You should of course get yourself checked out tomorrow, but you know that.
Positive thinking darling, keep up that positive thinking.

bluebell222 Wed 03-Apr-13 01:41:22

yes thornrose, i will get it checked very soon.
good night to you both smile

thornrose Wed 03-Apr-13 01:42:07

Night night.

Maryz Wed 03-Apr-13 01:45:07

I have also had three, two removed, one just aspirated and left.

All harmless.

I (apparently) have lumpy breasts hmm.

Do get it checked, but the likelihood is that it is a cyst, and will be nothing of any interest to anyone.

dd came to me yesterday saying she had a lump (she is 16). I will take her to the gp but I'm confident it is nothing, and in fact will probably disappear over the next menstrual cycle (my breasts' lumpiness varies a lot).

bluebell222 Wed 03-Apr-13 01:47:51

my sil has a lot, too. and they sometimes give her pain.

bluebell222 Wed 03-Apr-13 01:49:42

was it difficult operation to remove them Maryz?

Maryz Wed 03-Apr-13 01:50:25

They say painful ones are never serious. They are painful because they come and go depending on the time of the month.

The serious ones are never painful (that's not to say that non-painful ones are always serious; neither of the ones I had removed were painful at all).

Maryz Wed 03-Apr-13 01:53:04

Nope, I had a GA. Apparently had they been nearer the surface (i.e, if my norks were smaller grin) it could have been done under local. They did a little slit, took them out, I got two stitches in one, three in the other.

They sent them off to pathology, but were sure they were just cysts, and they were.

I think nowadays with better scans, they often don't even remove them. My third one they aspirated, there was fluid in it and they sent the fluid off to be analysed. I don't think I even had a local for that one.

Seriously, don't worry unless there is something to worry about.

bluebell222 Wed 03-Apr-13 02:00:44

thank you so much Maryz flowers for calming me down.
but felt sorry for you for what you've been through, I hope you wont have them again.

Maryz Wed 03-Apr-13 02:03:21

To be honest, it wasn't a big deal for me.

My mum was very pragmatic about it, and it was all "loads of women are lumpy, just wait and see". So I did. Had she been hysterical, I would have fallen to bits.

I think I might another one appearing atm, but again I doubt it's anything serious. I check often, and I think if they come up suddenly, they go away just as quickly.

Do get it checked. But don't worry until there is something to worry about smile

bluebell222 Wed 03-Apr-13 02:13:14

yes Maryz, you're right, its best not to worry about it, maybe not even think about it, only to have it checked.

DontSHOUTTTTTT Wed 03-Apr-13 02:21:58

I back up what everyone has said, yes get it checked but it isn't worth worrying about as it is probably nothing.
Make an appointment in the morning and don't worry.

flowers

bluebell222 Wed 03-Apr-13 02:30:06

thank you, DontSHOUTTTTTT flowers
its best not to think about it, but i will get the appointment soon.

bluebell222 Wed 03-Apr-13 02:34:44

i think i will go to bed, i ate some food, it will help me to go to sleep i guess.
thanks so much for all your support here, it calmed me down and helped me a lot.
bye for now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now