Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Iron supplement question

(6 Posts)
WildThong Tue 02-Apr-13 22:33:35

I'm just about at the end of the box of ferrous fumarate 210mg prescribed by the GP. Can I buy an equivalent over the counter or any other recommendations. I feel so much better although it took about 6 weeks so I don't want to slip back.

mercibucket Tue 02-Apr-13 22:40:20

i use spatone and floradix, no side effects, keeps my ferritin levels good. is the course finished or on repeat?

BeeBawBabbity Wed 03-Apr-13 00:02:46

I buy 200mg ferrous sulphate tablets from boots. Over the counter, and they do ask why you want them. But if you explain you were anaemic and you're taking a maintenance dose then they seem happy to sell them.

WildThong Wed 03-Apr-13 11:34:46

It's just been the one box so not on repeat. I would like to maintain this feeling of being well. What a difference it's made, I took them with food or fruit juice and massively increased the amount of water so I didn't get constipated at all, opposite affect tbh
My hair is definitely recovering, skin looks better, I even feel my mood is lighter but maybe that's just coincidence. Sorry for rant but its been a bit miraculous.

Snugglepiggy Wed 03-Apr-13 20:49:35

Yes I buy ferrous fumarate over the counter.It's cheaper than paying for a prescription.Been on it for shockingly low ferritin levels due to years of heavy periods ,and wish I'd taken it long ago.The difference in how I feel when my iron levels are normal to how I feel when low is staggering.
Such a small part of your metabolism and body's requirements but so important to health and well being.

BasketzatDawn Wed 03-Apr-13 20:54:16

Shouldn't you maybe go back to GP to discuss maintenance dose? Then oyu can decide between you what to do next.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now