Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Which pill to take for PCOS?

(8 Posts)
hellsbells99 Tue 02-Apr-13 17:15:11

DD (16) has been diagnosed with pcos by the gynae consultant. Had scans, blood tests (testosterone ok, LH level high). Periods initially started 3 years ago. Has had 2 periods in the last year. She has very bad skin but weight ok (size 10, 5'5"). We now have to go to the GP to be prescribed the pill. The pill will stop other possible problems with lack of periods caused by PCOS. She has been told to exercise and eat healthily, and been told that when she wants to start a family they will give her fertility tablets sooner rather than later. We have to go back to gynae in 6 months. So before going to the GP, I would like to do our homework - the big question is - which pill is the most suitable with the least possible side effects? Any help / advice gratefully received - thanks.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 02-Apr-13 17:24:26

www.patient.co.uk/health/Polycystic-Ovary-Syndrome.htm - has lots of info

PeppaFuckingPig Tue 02-Apr-13 17:32:10

I have PCOS and am on dianette. It's helped with my skin - no more spot outbreaks - and also with my hair. I used to have to wash my hair every day because of how greasy it got, but now i can go 3 days without washing it. I have no side effects from the pill.

Good luck to your daughter.

hellsbells99 Tue 02-Apr-13 17:42:21

Thanks for responses so far. Am a bit reluctant re: Dianette as I believe there has been a recent scare - I believe France are banning it and Australia has issued a safey alert. I know all pills have side effects so looking to minimise any risks.

ilovepowerhoop Tue 02-Apr-13 17:48:37

looks like yasmin may be able to be used as an alternative

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 02-Apr-13 18:03:38

I tried Yasmin but hated it, it made no difference to my skin at all so I went back to Dianette. I took it for 7 years before I had to stop due to migraines.

I have a yearly blood sugar check, random fasting and a long term sugar control called HbA1C.

Wrt the skin I've been using retin-a cream 0.05% with great success. I've also had long term oral and topical antibiotics.

If I eat anything high in sugar I get the most awful boil type spots, alcohol also sets me off. There is a website for the charity Verity, they have lots of information.

The low GI diets not a bad place to start for PCOS sufferers.

hellsbells99 Tue 02-Apr-13 19:02:49

Thanks all. I have ordered a low GI cookbook as a starting point.

DerbyNottsLeicsNightNanny Tue 02-Apr-13 19:07:15

I was on dianette for years on & off with no problems (apart from a tendency to be 2-4lbs heavier when on it compared to not on it).

Plan to go back onto it when have had baby (currently pg). Not diagnosed pcos but have v.greasy skin/hair & some other typical pcos symptoms too depressing to mention!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now