Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I feel a bit silly- I have a sore thumb!

(7 Posts)
DowntonTrout Tue 02-Apr-13 09:41:20

Should I go to the doctor?

It is throbbing and swollen, around the side of the nail and the pad area. About 50% bigger than my other thumb. I can't bend it fully and it is very painful- cant put pressure on it to grip things.

It's not the joint and there is no pus I can see, also there is no sign of anything tracking up my arm. But there is clearly swelling of some sort inside as the pad is hard to the touch. It is a bit red.

Im going on holiday at the weekend and am wondering if it needs some antibiotics but I still feel a bit silly bothering the doctor with a sore thumb!

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 02-Apr-13 09:58:24

Just a thought - do you think it might be iphone thumb?

Just realised my permanent neck/shoulder pain is probably iphone neck - rsi from never putting the fecking thing down!

DowntonTrout Tue 02-Apr-13 10:07:13

Ha- no. But thanks. It started off as a painful bit at the side of/under my nail.

iPhone thumb though- who knew?

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 02-Apr-13 10:16:23

< rubs throbbing shoulder >

I think you shouldn't think twice about seeing the doc - they're not just there for the 'at-death's-door.' If it's causing a lot of discomfort and not going away that's justification enough.
You have my blessing grin

tabbycat15 Tue 02-Apr-13 11:51:15

It sounds like a whitlow.

DowntonTrout Tue 02-Apr-13 12:20:57

Oh dear, I've just googled that.

There are no blisters yet. It's about 5/6 days since it started hurting.

fridayfreedom Tue 02-Apr-13 12:35:45

I was thinking Whitlow too. Had one by my finger nail a few years back.....ow, ow, ow!
Yes go to the GP for antibiotics . Mine swelled up and throbbed +++ couldn't sleep sp stabbed it will a sterile needle and the pus/blood just shot out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now