Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Kidney infection? What should we do?

(33 Posts)
ToffeeWhirl Mon 01-Apr-13 11:12:08

DH thinks he might have a kidney infection. The GP is closed today and I don't know whether he should wait till tomorrow or go to A&E today. He's been feeling tired and generally unwell for a few days. Has diarrhoea, feels sick and has lost his appetite. Has now developed a pain in his side. He used a home test on his urine this morning, which indicated a possibility of kidney issues.

Am not sure how serious a kidney infection is. He'll need antibiotics, won't he?

He is meant to be doing a three-hour journey to my family tomorrow and we are going to a wedding a few days later. He's not going to be well enough if it's his kidneys, is he?

ClaimedByMe Mon 01-Apr-13 11:13:04

Phone NHS Direct/24 they will get him seen

LIZS Mon 01-Apr-13 11:19:09

No sure what home tests are available but when dh had kidney stones he was doubled up, went to A and E and was eventually admitted. He needs to see someone asap.

ToffeeWhirl Mon 01-Apr-13 11:20:41

Thanks, I rang them. There is a recorded message saying they are 'exceptionally busy' (of course) and will only ring you back if your case is judged as urgent - in which case, it will still take up to four hours.

DH has to go into work for a couple of hours today (am going with him to help), so we can't wait in for a phone call. He has to go to work because he's self employed and there's no one else who can do the work today.

Am concerned about leaving it overnight, but DH favours ringing his GP first thing tomorrow morning.

ToffeeWhirl Mon 01-Apr-13 11:22:18

Kidney stones is not the same as kidney infection though, is it? DH is certainly not doubled up with pain. He doesn't even have a temperature. But he does feel sick and is worried by the pain in his side, so it could be the start of an infection, I suppose.

LIZS Mon 01-Apr-13 11:24:20

If the test showed blood in urine then it could be anything kidney/bladder related. iirc it got worse suddenly

MrsHoarder Mon 01-Apr-13 11:25:16

No ooh service? Ours is usually pretty quick.

ToffeeWhirl Mon 01-Apr-13 11:33:14

Have phoned local GP surgery and been given an 0845 number that isn't NHS Direct. Am going to get DH to ring it....

ToffeeWhirl Mon 01-Apr-13 11:41:15

DH rang the number, then rang off. The message said it was for emergencies only and DH says he's not an emergency and doesn't feel that bad and can wait to see the GP tomorrow.

I give up.

ClaimedByMe Mon 01-Apr-13 11:51:13

If it is a kidney infection and he leaves it even till tomorrow he may need IV anti biotics, why are men so stuborn?

MrsHoarder Mon 01-Apr-13 11:59:32

He will only get seen tomorrow if he calls it an emergency (unless your gp surgery is seriously underused).

Chopchopbusybusy Mon 01-Apr-13 12:00:38

I had a kidney infection which I didn't have treated straight away - long story - I ended up in hospital for 5 days on IV antibiotics. When I did see the GP he told me off for not demanding an appointment.

ToffeeWhirl Mon 01-Apr-13 12:07:06

MrsH - GP surgery is bound to be busy tomorrow, but you can usually get an appointment if you phone first thing and they always save appointments for urgent cases.

Claimed - I will tell him that.

Chopchop - And that too.

Puddlelane Mon 01-Apr-13 12:07:09

I left a kidney infection for nearly a month... Cue being extremely ill!

ToffeeWhirl Mon 01-Apr-13 12:32:05

Right, he's on the phone to emergency OOH GP now.

He wouldn't listen to me, but he did listen to Mumsnet wink.

CrispyHedgeHog Mon 01-Apr-13 12:36:59

I've iust come out of hospital after needing iv antibiotics for this.

The pain was excruciating. Get him to see someone sooner rather than later

noddyholder Mon 01-Apr-13 12:37:52

Very important to get treated asap

ToffeeWhirl Mon 01-Apr-13 13:00:03

He's been told a GP will ring him within the next six hours. He's cancelled work today and I have just broken the news to DM that we won't be coming tomorrow sad.

He told me he's had the pain on and off for over a week, but didn't want to make a fuss. Then he took antibiotics for a chest infection last week and the pain in his side went away, so he forgot all about it.

Bunbaker Mon 01-Apr-13 13:07:11

Kidney infections are serious and should not be left. Left untreated they can lead to permanent kidney damage and kidney failure later in life. If your husband does have an infection he needs antibiotics today.

ToffeeWhirl Mon 01-Apr-13 13:07:20

OK, now what do I need to do to be a good nurse, apart from getting myself off MN?

I have given him fresh water and a hot-water bottle. Anything else?

Wallison Mon 01-Apr-13 13:12:46

Drink lots and lots - that's the most important thing. Also he can take painkillers such as paracetamol and ibuprofen. And what Bunbaker said about not leaving it; you don't fuck around with your kidneys.

ToffeeWhirl Mon 01-Apr-13 13:14:22

Thanks, Wallison.

He drank wine last night. Probably not the best thing, considering.

ToffeeWhirl Mon 01-Apr-13 13:56:07

GP rang. DH has to go and see him in hospital.

LIZS Mon 01-Apr-13 13:56:57

Glad he is being seen.

Bunbaker Mon 01-Apr-13 13:56:59

Good. I hope the treatment is successful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now