Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone knowledgable about wisdom teeth around?

(7 Posts)
GalaxyDefender Sun 31-Mar-13 08:41:07

For the past three days I've had horrifying tooth pain. Inspection of the source suggests it's a wisdom tooth coming in as I can feel the sharp edges of the bugger poking out of my top gum.

Before you all jump on me, I am planning to see a dentist - which will be mildly horrible as I haven't been for seven years and they'll whinge at me about the horrible state of my gob, as they always do - but obviously as it's the bloody Easter weekend nothing will be open until Tuesday earliest angry

My question for any dentisty-types (or those who've had their wisdom teeth in!) is: is pain when swallowing normal with wisdom teeth? The tooth itself is mostly a dull ache unless I accidentally bite it, but every time I swallow the whole right side of my jaw/upper throat hurts, so I suspect there's some swelling going on.
Anti-inflammatory painkillers seem to be working, as does the application of DSs leftover Bonjela, but seriously, how long is this going to last? I can't really eat either, it's so painful sad

AnnoyingOrange Sun 31-Mar-13 08:53:27

I would guess that you have an access and will need antibiotics. You must have an emergency dentist you can ring or go to A and E

AnnoyingOrange Sun 31-Mar-13 08:54:02

Abscess not access

GalaxyDefender Sun 31-Mar-13 10:03:45

confused An abscess as well as the tooth? Buggery.
I'm out all today and tomorrow, and I don't think it's bad enough for A&E if you see what I mean. The over-the-counter painkillers I've got are taking the edge off, and ironically the pain has lessened generally since I posted. Will definitely go check when the dentists open. Had been hoping to avoid a dentist visit though sad

AKissIsNotAContract Sun 31-Mar-13 10:07:15

I would have thought pericoronitis rather than abscess. How old are you? If wisdom teeth have the space to erupt fully then they usually make an appearance before you are 25 so the tooth could be impacted.

saycheeeeeese Sun 31-Mar-13 10:11:19

No that sounds exactly like what I went through with mine, probably because there's not enough room in your mouth. The roots of a wisdom tooth are deep and can affect your throat and ears like in my case. Clove oil from boots was a godsend it completely numbs the gum and throat.
Unless its excruciating I would hold fire until Tuesday, make sure you go because it may be impacted and need whipped out.

EllieArroway Sun 31-Mar-13 11:53:05

I had pericoronitis when one of my wisdoms was coming through - it was bloody agony and my entire cheek swelled up. My dentist had me swilling three times a day with Corsodyl and it went down after about 4 days. He said that if it didn't go down, he'd prescribe antibiotics. So, try to get some Corsodyl - tastes minging and can cause temporary tooth staining but it does the job.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now