Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Recurrent uti

(7 Posts)
ariane5 Sat 30-Mar-13 23:22:34

I had a severe uti in december and ended up with a kidney infection. It was horrendous, was initially treated with trimethoprim (didn't work) then with Cefalexin which did.results came back as e coli. Symptoms were awful, severe pain, passing bright red blood, felt dreadful.

A month ago I suddenly felt ill again,recognised the symptoms so managed to get to see gp and get sample dipped and got cefalexin again which helped.

I have started to feel ill again today so will have to get to ooh tomorrow morning as I don't want to leave it too long and get to stage I was the first time.

I want to know how I can prevent these attacks? I drink lots of water, I am very run down and tired but its only been since dec that I've had utis. I don't want to constantly be on antibiotics.

scoobdoob Sun 31-Mar-13 00:58:37

Hi. I would be making sure the samples are always sent to the lab to make sure it is definitely an infection and the correct antibiotics are given. Then two clear days after finishing the correct course send another sample to the lab. To ensure it has cleared.

It maybe the courses haven't been long enough to ensure it has properly cleared and is repeatedly flaring up.

If it has been properly treated. Ie lab sample completely clear, ask for a urology referral. They can check your bladder is emptying completely. If not the urine left can become infected.

You are doing the right thing. Plenty of clear fluids, regular trips to the toilet (not obsessive but about 3 hourly), try to ensure the bladder is empty at each visit, avoid constipation and cut back on caffeine and sweetners that can irrate the bladder.
Good luck. The infections sound awfuk

Rulesgirl Sun 31-Mar-13 02:18:45

Hi, sorry their a bugger arnt they. E coli infections usually come from the bowel so a good thing to do is every time you go for a poo, wipe until clean, then wash around your back passage only with unscented soap, then use a jug just for you and pour very warm water down your front lady bits which should also run down and wash your back passage if you see what I mean. God, sorry but there was no other way to describe it. This clears away any e coli so it doesn't enter the urethra. Also after making love you need to go for a wee straight away making sure you completely empty your bladder and then do the wash thing. I find if I don't wee after sex I always get an uti infection. smile

littlejo67 Sun 31-Mar-13 18:42:32

Have been in your position and suffered over the years. I can keep them in control and rarely get a uti. I started taking garlic pearls six a day. Its a natural antiseptic. . I ran out and didn't bother getting any more and within a week I felt the symptoms returning. There is research online about garlic and uti's that's why I gave it a go.

Losingexcessweight Sun 31-Mar-13 20:42:52

Hi op, i had this problem in my late teens.

Doctor eventually put me on a single dose of antibiotics long term around 4 months and sent me off for tests at the hospital.

Had a camera inserted into my bladder, bladder was filled with water, doctor said there was alittle irritation but nothing serious or that needed treating.

Went to the loo after wards to empty the water out of my bladder, and never had a uti since.

Dont know why, maybe the bladder wash solved it!

That was about 8 years ago

ariane5 Sun 31-Mar-13 21:14:06

Went to ooh gp this morn. She wanted to prescribe nitrofurantoin (sp??) But couldn't as I'm still bf ds2 so prescribed cefalexin.

She advised that I drink more water, and also cranberry and buy cymalon sachets to use at first hint of a uti to see if they help. If I get another she said I will need a kidney scan to check everythings ok.

Felt rubbish all day so glad I got the anti B. Will try the garlic as really can't bear the pain from utis they are awful.

ozymandiusking Sun 31-Mar-13 21:35:00

I have suffered for years until I adopted these self help methods.

Try taking a cranberry tablet every day. if you drink the juice it can make your urine very acid, and really sting. The tablets work just as well.

Also try Uva Ursi drops,available from health shops,I swear by them.

If possible drink a glass of water before making love, then you have got some thing in your bladder to go with afterwards.

Anytime that you go to the loo, when you think you have finished emptying your bladder, stand up for 3-4 seconds, and then sit down, contract your muscles to completely empty your bladder.

It is possible to buy urine testing sticks on line, they are handy to have in, if you test as soon as you think you are starting an infection, you can perhaps get to the Drs even sooner.

It is my personal belief that when samples are sent to the lab, and they come back saying "no significant growth" ( or something like that) that there may be some bacteria there enough to cause you a problem but they don't think there are enough.

When doing a sample,send the first wee of the day.

I do hope some of this advice helps. You have all my sympathy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now