Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bloated tummy, dull achy pain - what could it be?

(18 Posts)
HoppinMad Sat 30-Mar-13 00:59:04

I have recently noticed my stomach has become really big -dh actually asked me quite terrified if I could possibly be pregnant. But i'm definitely not. Anyway I look about 5 months pregnant. I tend to get a strange dull ache in the centre of abdomen and the draining horrible feeling normally associated with periods? Sorry i'm probably not explaining myself very well. This dull pain usually occurs after eating, sometimes randomly but its mainly very uncomfortable as opposed to painful.
I get cramps when i need to defecate, they were awful after the birth of dc2 6 months ago and felt like i was shitting glass no joke. but calmed down now its mainly just cramps. Oh and i feel exhausted after defacating, quite strange really.. I dont know why i havnt managed to see my GP, awkward hours, with 2 kids in tow. But what could this possibly be? Sone sort if

HoppinMad Sat 30-Mar-13 01:00:21

Sorry clicked send before I could finish.

Could it be some sort of indigestion? Intolerance?

N.b. my periods havnt started yet since dc2 could it be that?

happyAvocado Sat 30-Mar-13 01:04:07

I'd go and see your GP.
if you can in short term - try to avoid eating gluten for a few days and see if that helps at all.

cheerfulweather Sat 30-Mar-13 01:04:33

Sounds like Ibs to me at first glance. Do you get the pains at other times?

DIddled Sat 30-Mar-13 01:32:45

Get checked out ASAP- I am sure it's nothing serious but when you mentioned bloating it made me think ovarian tumours? You don't feel full and struggle to eat? Not wanting to scare you- it's probably nothing xxx

HoppinMad Sat 30-Mar-13 09:28:08

Thanks for your replied

cheerfulw the pains can be quite random. Like first thing in the morning when I havnt eaten anything. And stomach feels very tender when i press it.

Diddled I was worried somebody may say that, ive been googling and crapping myself now as I seem to have many of the symptoms, but then theyre so vague. Other symtoms are bloating, gas, burping, bit of back pain (but that could well be unrelated), shortness of breath (I seem to suffer from anxiety). My appetite seems ok, and I dont feel full unless I actually am really full.

I feel quite run down tho but that could be because dc dont sleep very well so i'm constantly up in the night and cant rest much in the day either.

However I do need to go and see GP dont i...

HoppinMad Sat 30-Mar-13 09:29:12

Replies* damn phone

Montybojangles Sat 30-Mar-13 10:10:11

There's no point self diagnosing offer reading something on the Internet. You are causing yourself needless worry.
There's lots of possible causes, IBS, H pylori infection, wheat intolerance, ulcer.
Cut out bread if you can, likely to help with the bloating, you can try buscopan to see if that improves the bloating / pain.
See your GP so that you can be properly examined and find the actual cause. Hope you are on the mend soon.

Montybojangles Sat 30-Mar-13 10:10:48

...after reading something, bloody spellchecker.

digerd Sat 30-Mar-13 11:21:29

Putting on weight and bloating can be an underactive Thyroid - very easy to treat. My sis had that after the birth of her 2nd DC. Went to dr as she had no periods. And I noticed her face looked bloated < even years later, she is the lucky type, that when she puts on a bit of weight on holidays, it always goes mostly on her face and boobs, nowhere else.

A blood test for Thyroid should be able to at least rule it out if OK.
The main symptom of Ovarian cancer is looking 6 months pregnant, so be sure that is investigated to rule that out, hopefully.
Good luck

DIddled Tue 02-Apr-13 22:36:00

Have you arranged to see your doc hoppin? X

HoppinMad Wed 03-Apr-13 22:56:08

Hi thanks for the reassuring and helpful posts.

diddled I have app with GP tomorrow morning, will see what happens. I have a feeling I will get fobbed off tho! They can be like that.

HoppinMad Wed 03-Apr-13 23:01:58

digerd a family member developed an under active thyroid also after her 2nd baby, she didnt get bloated though, strangely she lost lots of weight because of it when normally its put on with hypo?

Thanks I will mention this also to GP, and maybe request a BT to check for the condition.

DIddled Wed 03-Apr-13 23:03:56

Hi hops glad you have the appt! I am sure you are fine but if you are at all concerned or it carries on , insist on a Ca125 test , I think that what it is called I just whipped off here to check it! Sur the doc would know what it was. Let us know how you get on and I am saying a little prayer for you in any case x

That's prob a tad dramatic p'raps I will just cross me fingers for now smile

Mamf74 Thu 04-Apr-13 10:11:23

Have you considered keeping a food diary? Note down everything you eat plus any symptoms you get, and see if you can spot any patterns emerging.

Just a quick note about the CA125 test, it's not always reliable - I have endometriosis and this (plus cysts etc) can give higher than usual readings. You can get tests to check for inflammation (I think they're CSR tests) which could be helpful though.

digerd Thu 04-Apr-13 10:51:53

Hoppin
Yes, I know some one who also put on weight and DR was very puzzled as her blood test said HYPER. Unusual, but does happen.

I was text book and had all symptoms for Hyper and all when they overdosed me and I went hypo.

HoppinMad Thu 04-Apr-13 11:27:02

Ok so back from GP app, he prescribed me some indigestion tablets and constipation syrup and asked me to change my diet. I wouldnt say i eat unheathily, i am size 6/8 with a big stomach hmm . He can be very dismissive sad and was rather like that today, will try these medicines though and if they dont make much difference will definitely be going back. Should give it a fortnight you reckon?
Thanks for food diary idea, will try that.

DIddled Thu 04-Apr-13 22:39:54

Well see how you get on- if you are not happy get a second opinion x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now