Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Stomach bug? or more serious... Scared

(4 Posts)
Kat101 Fri 29-Mar-13 16:12:17

Back story is that about a year ago I had some spotting after a bowel movement, and a little mucous. GP did a rectum exam and a raft of blood tests plus detailed iron studies. All were clear except my iron stores were a bit low (but I was definitely not anaemic he said). Gave me some iron pills and some suppositories that seemed to work.

Same blood tests were repeated in October 5 months ago and same result, different GP just said eat more red meat (I'm sure I eat enough protein), but no reason to be alarmed.

Fast forward to now...last Sunday and Monday I suddenly had weird stools - some small and formed, some liquidy. Put it down to a piece of fish I ate on Saturday that really didn't settle well straight after eating (knew I shouldn't have eaten it). Tues, Wed and Thurs I didn't go hardly at all and felt ok, then last night I felt nauseous and this morning had the diarrhoea and mucous back again, plus headache, with a little blood (not mixed in, I think similar to last time - I think GP said it was probably anal fissure or piles).

Made a GP appointment but not until 17th April (next routine available one). Should I go earlier? I do have to admit I suffer a lot from health anxiety, with several cancer scares on different areas last year (you name it, I've worried about it). Maybe its a virus going round? Something else?

I know no-one can give me a definitive answer but just wondered if it sounded like I should get checked out sooner not later. Or am I being paranoid?

nenevomito Fri 29-Mar-13 16:28:35

I'd give it a few days and see how it pans out. I get blood occasionally, but its down to internal piles rather than anything more serious. Its quite possibly something you've eaten. Sometimes it can take a while to fully get through your system. Nothing you describe is a red flag.

MintChocCh1p Fri 29-Mar-13 16:59:52

The real issue here is your health anxiety - the stomach thing will be a bug or IBS - in other words , unpleasant but not serious

I'd be making that appointment about your HA not the stomach bug

Jestrin Sun 31-Mar-13 19:50:32

I think you should go back sooner. A supposed anal fissure a year ago would have healed by now. Blood in your stool always needs checking.

I have ulcerative colitis and had a fissure after the birth of my daughter. I have episodes of bleeding/mucous/ weird stools. If only for peace of mind, go and get seen again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now