Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Psoriasis - any fellow sufferers? I'm getting so desperate!

(16 Posts)
flamingnora Fri 29-Mar-13 14:32:43

I've had guttate psoriasis on & off for years, with the worst ever outbreak (before now!) 19 years ago. About 4 weeks ago I got it back again, as a result of a sore throat which I treated with antibiotics. Initially I got it all over, went to my GP, was prescribed Dermovate for the body & Eumovate for the face. It began to clear (yay!) & two weeks ago, while I was still using the creams & was feeling hopeful it was on its way out, it came back for round two with a vengance.
I saw a dermatologist as soon as I could (on March 19th) she prescribed Dervobet & more antibiotics. I'm going back to see her next Tuesday but you would not believe how bad it is now & it's getting worse. My face cleared initially but I notice a tiny break out there & am now panicked that it's going to get worse there. I want to cry. I feel terrible, like this is never going to clear. Also, my skin is now sore from the Dervobet although my psoriaisis just seems to be changing in shape rather than clearing.
Can anyone help with words of wisdom or advice?
Thanks!

kellibabylove Fri 29-Mar-13 14:56:50

I've had psoriasis for 10 years, guttate covering most of my body for years, I feel your pain sad in my experience dovobet made mine worse and am now on miracle medication :D. Best thing to is to use the dovobet till you clear / nearly clear, then use every other day for a week, then every 3 days for a week then the once a week for 2 weeks to control any rebound. Use heavy duty moisturisor atleast 3/4 times a day especially straight out of the shower before drying. Vaseline is really good for really dry scaly plaques. Also moisturiser 10 minutes before applying any cream as this helps it absorb better. Hth x

flamingnora Fri 29-Mar-13 15:51:02

Hi there Kellibabylove! Just reading the words "I feel your pain" has made me feel better! I do know about preventing a rebound by very gradually fading out the use. I guess right now I feeling so despondent about it ever clearing! PLEASE TELL ME IT WILL CLEAR! Thanks for tip on using moisturiser for 10 mins before cream. I currently use doublebase - will use more often. Am I supposed to know what your miracle medication is?! Can you share?!
Thanks a million, once again.

DramaInPyjamas Fri 29-Mar-13 16:00:45

Has your dermatologist/doctor mentioned UVB treatment?
It cleared mine up and have been mostly free from it for the past few years apart from a couple of tiny patches which I keep under control with Dovobet.

DramaInPyjamas Fri 29-Mar-13 16:04:19

Also, I don't know if this is medically proven, but a change in diet could help clear up psoriasis. I found that when I cut down on bread/carbs/starchy wheaty foods and dairy I had clearer skin.

flamingnora Fri 29-Mar-13 16:04:21

Hi DiP! It hasn't been mentioned yet but I think that's because it's so awful the priority has been to get rid of it as briskly as possible (not that this seems to be happening!) with Dovobet. I will definitely ask about it.

kellibabylove Fri 29-Mar-13 21:14:11

I tried uvb, didn't get passed 1 minute, 30 and just made me burn, now on very low dose cyclosporin. Nothing else would touch it. Wish I could say it will clear, mine never did pre-meds, but everyone's different. In fairness Ive never altered my diet apart from avoiding tomatos :/ and eating loads of green vegetables. I've spoken to a lot of people who swear by the pagano (sp?) diet. If it is widespread I'd beg for uvb, I was just unlucky it didn't work for me.

OhDearieDearieMe Fri 29-Mar-13 23:15:50

I had it for four long horrible years. Had to give up sugar for other reasons and the psoriasis went within two weeks. Obviously I can't say for sure that the two things are connected but ..………
Worth a try OP. Anything is worth a try!

HoppinMad Sat 30-Mar-13 09:37:56

My dh started getting psoriasis on his scalp, behind ears and a few other places, afew months ago. Since he has been drinking wheatgrass juice <boak> but its def helped.

cmc84 Sat 30-Mar-13 11:46:36

Hi! Aww I really feel for you, iv been there many times. I too suffer from guttate psoriasis which is triggered by a throat infection. I had my first outbreak when I was 6 &have had outbreaks (totally covered) around 8times in my lifesad all caused by a rare throat infection. I am referred straight to the dermatology dept &have UVB sunlight treatment, which absolutely clears it!! You do burn a little but it fades away more and more with each treatment. I also have creams for in between treatments: betamethasone, dovobet, dovonex, carbodome (tarry but it works) are a few which iv had over the years &all help to take the scaliness down. I'd push for UVB treatment, I know what it's like to feel desperatesad Iv never came across anyone who had a sore throat trigger, so Hi! smile hope u start to recover soon! xx

seoda24 Sat 30-Mar-13 16:00:32

Kellibabylove. , how are you finding the low dose cyclosporine?I heard the side affects can be extremely unpleasant but I suppose everyone reacts different.

flamingnora Sat 30-Mar-13 21:48:31

Hi cmc84! Good to hear from you & thanks for the kind words! I think I am a bit blindsided by this because in the past, although my outbreaks have been horrific, they've cleared relatively quickly. This feels like it's dragging on, hence my desperation! The same dermatologist who I have seen recently did get me better before so I am trying to keep the faith that this will clear - hideous though this is! Can I please ask how quickly you found the UVB sunlight treatment cleared it?

cmc84 Sun 31-Mar-13 09:16:36

Hey Flamingnora, I think it's a 6 or 8 week block, it's been a couple of years since iv had a really bad outbreak so not 100%. I went 3 times a week for the full block, you start off at like 30 seconds its that powerful, after a couple of sessions i find it becomes lighter and fades away every time!! 2months seems a long time but I felt that if I hadn't had that treatment it wouldn't have went away, it was so furious that creams wouldn't have done a thing! I hope you manage to get it, I also try to take vitamins, to help my immune system to fight off throat infections, might not help but worth a try!! xx

Dawndonna Sun 31-Mar-13 10:51:46

I've had psoriasis for 50 years!
Yes, UV treatment, for me was amazing.
Just for keeping moist and less sore, Lush Dream Cream kept in the fridge is heavenly.

kellibabylove Mon 01-Apr-13 15:56:28

Seoda. Its amazing I've had no side effects apart from tingling feet for the first couple of days. Oh and my hair has got really thick, which I quite like. Cleared me completely in 6 weeks!
I've been on it since June 2010 with a 6 week break recently, it came back within 4 weeks but no rebound, just as bad as it was before treatment. Been back on it for 4 weeks and almost ready to get back into my swimming costume :-) I'm allowed it till October before switching to something else. I'm on half the dose recommended for P based on my weight, which is why I've been allowed it for so long. It really is the wonder drug people say it is :-)

seoda24 Mon 01-Apr-13 17:57:55

Kellibabylove,glad to hear your positive, reassuring story.It was suggested I go on it for a month on month off but having read up on the weekly blood tests and monitoring etc I wondered where this would fit in to an already busy week and no time off work.Will consider it again as great to hear your results!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now