Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Raised blood sugar level - what to expect?

(11 Posts)
BettySuarez Thu 28-Mar-13 20:11:21

Had a blood test last week as part of general MOT.

Blood Glucose came back as 8.5 (this was non fasting though)

So I need to go back for fasting bloods but just wondered if anyone had been through similar and what the outcome was?

Dad was Diabetic (Type 2), I have all the risk factors (excess weight etc)

Tell me that Type 2 Diabetes isn't a death sentence!!!!

anonymosity Thu 28-Mar-13 21:12:28

I can't tell you anything about Diabetes type 2 other than I know a gentleman who is knocking 80 and he's had it 20 years and remains spritely.

But your test will also depend on all the foods you ate the night before, so if you had carbs - it will go higher.

IF you can eat lean meat and vegetables the day before, it will probably show a truer reflection of your actual sugar levels when you test the next day.

Sorry not to be more helpful and good luck.

Footle Fri 29-Mar-13 09:00:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Montybojangles Sun 31-Mar-13 08:58:22

What test are they asking for on the form? HbA1c, fasting glucose or glucose tolerance test (GGT)?

Footle Sun 31-Mar-13 13:02:33

Montybojangles Sun 31-Mar-13 13:55:05

I know, but as op has been told to fast, and HbA1c is not a fasting blood test, whereas the GTT or fasting glucose are, I thought it relevant to ask op what is on the form, that way we might give a bit more specific advice/ support.
Also op, as Footle says, diabetes is not a death sentence. Let us know how it goes. Best wishes.

Footle Mon 01-Apr-13 09:36:17

Namehelpplease Mon 01-Apr-13 16:19:09

You do not need to fast for HBA1C

Montybojangles Mon 01-Apr-13 21:19:00

Absolutely no need to fast for an HBA1c. It's assessing an average glucose over the life of your red cells, which live for approx 8-12 weeks, so fasting for 1 night is completely pointless and unnecessary.

Footle Mon 01-Apr-13 21:23:36

Montybojangles Mon 01-Apr-13 21:44:15

Sorry, it is if you want it to be good, especially if they are measuring your LDL or triglycerides, definitely needs to be fasting then, sad it's missing the early morning cuppa that would upset my day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now