Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

calf pain

(14 Posts)
EverybodysSootyEyed Thu 28-Mar-13 20:05:02

I have had a sore calf for the past few days - only hurts when going up or down stairs but has been getting better

today i jumped down the last 2 steps and when i landed on the bad leg i felt a snap and terrible pain. It now hurts to walk on and i have to keep it in 'good toe' position

I assume I have pulled a muscle - what can I do about it - we are gong to disneyland next week!!!

EverybodysSootyEyed Thu 28-Mar-13 20:25:28

painful bump....

VerySmallSqueak Thu 28-Mar-13 20:30:04

You're going to have to go to the gp's you know - it's the hearing the 'snap' bit that concerns me a little.
I hope it's ok and the dr puts your mind at rest and it is just a pulled muscle.

EverybodysSootyEyed Thu 28-Mar-13 20:33:35

i didn't hear the snap - just felt it! I'm really hoping I haven't done anything to my tendon

why do these things always happen when it's a long bank holiday weekend and i am home alone with the kids (with 3 flights of stairs to deal with!).

EverybodysSootyEyed Thu 28-Mar-13 20:33:48

And a big thank you for replying!!

pollywollydoodle Thu 28-Mar-13 20:37:25

are gps open gd friday?

EverybodysSootyEyed Thu 28-Mar-13 20:42:44

mine isn't and will be fully booked for next week

even if they were open tomorrow they would just tell me to come in at 9 and wait for the first available doctor - this normally takes quite a few hours and i couldn't do it with the kids

VerySmallSqueak Thu 28-Mar-13 20:43:13

No,I realised after posting that most will not be blush

Perhaps if the gp has a Saturday surgery it'll be on.

<clutches at straws>

VerySmallSqueak Thu 28-Mar-13 20:45:16

All I can think is to try and limit the up and down stairs bit as much as you possibly can by organisation (not easy I know with kids to look after) and rest as much as you are able.

Is there any swelling?

Can anyone at all help with the children?

EverybodysSootyEyed Thu 28-Mar-13 20:52:27

luckily ds is very helpful so once i'm downstairs in the morning i shouldn't have to go back up!!

i have no one to help unfortunately

no swelling as far as i can see

Kormachameleon Thu 28-Mar-13 20:57:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EverybodysSootyEyed Thu 28-Mar-13 21:02:53

its only painful if i weight bear really

both kids are asleep in bed so i can't really go anywhere. maybe in the morning i could go to a walk in clinic (no pun intended!)

digerd Fri 29-Mar-13 09:50:57

Definitely a pulled/stiff muscle. If you felt something rip, it is likely to be a pulled muscle. And the walking on your toes as you can't put your heel down is familiar to me. But mine was only a stiff calf muscle while training in ballet, and we were told to stretch it out gently - but it was agony.
Always went away after a couple of days.
We used "White Horse linament" which warmed it up, - deep heat thing. But stank.
Physio might help.

EverybodysSootyEyed Fri 29-Mar-13 11:17:26

It's better this morning in that I can move my foot without much pain whereas last night it was extremely painful. Still can't walk with heel down though.

I think I'll just have to rest it until dh gets home and then send him out to get me some muscle rub!

Thanks for the advice!

It could be worse I suppose!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now